Kashmir Valley gold sellers on strike against excise dutyApril 3rd, 2012 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 3 (IANS) Wholesale and retail gold traders of the Kashmir Valley continued their strike for the 16th day Tuesday against the excise duty hike on branded and unbranded gold in 2012-2013 union budget.
“We are not against the hike in the customs duty on the sale of gold, but our agitation is against the proposed imposition of excise duty on the sale of gold,” Muhammad Iqbal, spokesman of the Valley’s wholesale and retail gold traders, said here.
Local gold sellers have shut their business establishments across the Valley for the last 16 days and have threatened to continue their agitation till the proposed imposition of excise on sale of gold is rolled back.
“We will continue our agitation till the union finance minister, Pranab Mukherjee withdraws the proposal,” the spokesman said.
The traders maintain that the prices of gold are already touching the sky and any further burden by way of imposition of excise duty would deal a serious blow to their trade. Over 2,000 non-locals in the Valley depend on this industry for a living.
- Jewellers resume shutdown in Bengal, demand rollback of excise duty - Mar 29, 2012
- Pranab urges jewellers to call off shutdown - Mar 31, 2012
- Gold traders on Akshaya Tritiya high - Apr 23, 2012
- Government invites jewellers for talks - Apr 04, 2012
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Pranab, jewellers to discuss contentious new levies - Apr 05, 2012
- Lalu Prasad takes jewellers' concerns to Mukherjee - Apr 05, 2012
- Jewellers end strike on promise of duty roll back - Apr 06, 2012
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab - May 07, 2012
- UP jewellers protest duty hike - Mar 31, 2012
- Bengal minister urges Pranab to reconsider gold duty hike - Mar 24, 2012
- Tax on gold amounts to taxing culture: Congress MP - Apr 04, 2012
- Mutton becomes bone of contention in Kashmir - Apr 20, 2011
- Chhattisgarh shutdown against hiked excise duty on gold - Mar 30, 2012
- Hike in import duty on gold: Jewellers body calls for shutdown - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: agitation, business establishments, customs duty, duty hike, excise duty, gold traders, imposition, kashmir, kashmir valley, locals, muhammad iqbal, pranab mukherjee, proposal, sky, spokesman, union budget, union finance minister, valley gold, wholesale