Kashmir trashes MCI notification for medical coursesJanuary 11th, 2011 - 1:49 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 11 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir has decided to continue the selection process for medical graduate and post-graduate courses through its Board of Professional Entrance Examinations (BOPEE), trashing the Medical Council of India (MCI) proposal to conduct the national eligibility-cum-entrance test (NEET).The state’s Minister for Medical Education R.S. Chibb told some newsmen here Tuesday that a communication in this regard has already been sent to the union government.
The minister said it was not in the interest of the candidates of Jammu and Kashmir to do away with the BOPEE, which had been created through a legislation passed by the state legislature.
“Whatever happens in the rest of the country, BOPEE will continue to conduct such examinations in our state,” the minister said.
The MCI had issued a notification Dec 21, 2010, for conducting NEET for admissions to graduate and post-graduate medical and dental courses in the country. It sought to introduce NEET for MBBS and post-graduate admissions and fixed 50 percent marks as cut-off for being eligible to appear in the entrance examination.
The MCI notification also said it would abide by the reservation norms as applicable in various states for such courses.
But the union health ministry struck down the MCI notification, calling it “invalid as the MCI had gone ahead without consulting it”.
Sources here said the union health ministry has asked the MCI to present the proposal of NEET during the two-day conference of state health ministers in Hyderabad later this month so that all states are taken on board on the issue and a decision subsequently taken.
- Apex court declines order on national medical entrance test - Dec 16, 2011
- Supreme Court gives nod to single common test for medical courses - Mar 07, 2011
- States' views sought on common medical entrance test (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Court refuses to relax MBBS eligibility for northeast tribals - Aug 10, 2011
- Syllabus for common medical entrance test released - Nov 04, 2011
- MCI moots reforms in medical courses, exams - Mar 30, 2011
- Exempt Tamil Nadu from common medical entrance test: Jayalalithaa - Aug 02, 2011
- Rules for common test to medical courses finalised - Sep 17, 2010
- 'Relax MBBS eligibility for northeast tribal students' - Aug 07, 2011
- SC notice on vacant post-graduate medical seats - Jun 21, 2012
- Opthamologists bemoan deterioration in the field - Sep 02, 2012
- Doctors with diplomate board degrees can teach in colleges - Oct 27, 2010
- Court terms MBBS admission criteria irrational - Sep 25, 2011
- States issued notice on common medical entrance tests - Oct 22, 2010
- SC permits online counselling for undergraduate medical students (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: bopee, dental courses, entrance examination, graduate admissions, health ministers, health ministry, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mbbs, medical council of india, medical council of india mci, medical courses, medical education, medical graduate, national eligibility, newsmen, post graduate courses, state health, trashes, union government