Kashmir rights panel headless, cases pile upFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 3 (IANS) Over 1,100 cases have piled up with the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) in the militancy-hit Jammu and Kashmir, as it has remained headless for more than three months now, affecting hearings by the panel.
“The chairman of the state’s Human Rights Commission demitted after completion of term Oct 23, 2011, and since then the commission has been functioning in the absence of a chairman,” a source in the commission told IANS.
“This has resulted in a situation where no division bench hearing of alleged rights abuses and violations could be held by the commission during this period.”
Only one judge is left to hear the cases. Currently the commission is dealing with 1,156 cases pertaining to rights abuses and violations.
Last year 487 complaints were received by the commission.
The cases being heard include those pertaining to unmarked graves, medical negligence, alleged forced disappearances and suo motu cognizance of rights violations taken by it.
“A total of 502 complaints were disposed of by the commission between Jan 1 and Dec 31 last year,” a source said.
“The disposed cases include those filed before the commission last year and some pending from earlier. The pendency is increasing at the commission with every passing day and the normal functioning of the commission is getting handicapped in the absence of the chairman.”
Despite official assertions that a new chairman for the commission would be nominated in time, the pending appointment has put a question mark on the efficacy of the state rights panel.
The commission was constituted in 1997.
The rights panel has four members besides the chairperson, who has to be a retired judge of the high court. At least one of the other members has to be a retired judge of the district and sessions court.
- Kashmir rights panel defunct for over a month now - Nov 29, 2011
- Kashmir panel wants international probe into unmarked graves - Sep 17, 2011
- Kashmir rights panel headless - Oct 27, 2011
- SC cautions high courts against curbs on trial - Feb 18, 2012
- Exhume unmarked grave in Kashmir: Rights panel - Jul 05, 2012
- Rights panel orders arrest of senior Kashmir cop (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Kakru to head Andhra rights panel - Nov 22, 2011
- Kashmir rights panel orders arrest of senior cop - Dec 20, 2011
- Human rights watchdog rakes up AFSPA issue - Jan 24, 2012
- Notice issued to LAWDA over Srinagar farmhouse - Apr 25, 2012
- Delhi Lok Adalat disposes 7,900 pending cases - Mar 12, 2011
- Government asked to finalise policy on ex-judges' advice - Feb 29, 2012
- Unmarked graves: Kashmir rights panel flays police - Oct 19, 2011
- Women's commission faces heavy backlog of complaints - Apr 23, 2010
- Slain RTI activist's father wants action against MP - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: absence, appointment, assertions, chairperson, cognizance, division bench, efficacy, human rights commission, kashmir, medical negligence, militancy, pendency, question mark, rights abuses, sessions court, shrc, state human rights, three months, unmarked graves