Kashmir residents object to ban on pre-paid mobile connectionsOctober 31st, 2009 - 6:53 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Oct 31(ANI): Residents of Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday objected to the Union Government’s decision to ban pre-paid mobile connections in the State, saying they would difficulties as a result.
On Friday, Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram said pre-paid cell-phone connections would be banned in the State for security reasons. He also said that existing pre-paid SIM cards would not be renewed in the state after November 1.
“This will cause a huge telecommunication gap in the rural areas. Most of the people in these areas have pre-paid mobile connections, as they are comparatively cheaper. I don’t think it is a good decision,” said Ejaz Ahmed, a local.
Others said the procedure of shifting from pre-paid to post-paid mobile connections would be a cumbersome process.
“We will have to wait for months and stand in long queues before we can change our pre-paid mobile connections to post-paid. I think it is a wrong decision as the cell phone companies have record of their pre-paid as well as post-paid customers,” said Gulam Hassan, another local.
Bashir Ahmad, a trader dealing in mobile sim-cards, said traders could not understand the point behind banning the service in the State.
“I see no point in banning pre-paid connections and not post-paid connections. When we are following the regulations of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), as followed in other parts of the country like doing proper verification, taking contact and address of the person before selling sim-cards, there is no point in banning pre-paid connections,” Ahmad said.
The decision also indicates that citizens owning prepaid connections from other states will not be provided roaming facilities while visiting the state. (ANI)
- Pre-paid mobile connections blocked in Jammu and Kashmir - Nov 01, 2009
- Northeast pre-paid mobiles allowed roaming facilities - May 25, 2011
- Omar to hold talks with Home Ministry over ban on pre-paid mobile connections - Nov 09, 2009
- Prepaid mobile recharges stalled in Kashmir - Feb 16, 2012
- Few takers for post-paid connection in Pakistan - Aug 24, 2012
- Are we all militants, ask Kashmir's pre-paid mobile subscribers - Oct 31, 2009
- Hello Kashmir! Ban on pre-paid mobiles lifted (Roundup) - Jan 21, 2010
- Kashmir ban on pre-paid mobiles lifted, Omar welcomes step (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2010
- Ban on some SMS services lifted in Kashmir - Dec 22, 2010
- Govt. to ban pre-paid cell-phone connections in Jammu and Kashmir: Chidambaram - Oct 30, 2009
- Panthers Party moves apex court over pre-paid mobile ban (Lead) - Nov 16, 2009
- No pre-paid connections in Kashmir over militant worries (Lead) - Oct 30, 2009
- Court relief for Matrix Cellular - Oct 28, 2011
- No prepaid mobiles in Kashmir from Nov 1 - Oct 30, 2009
- Four Nigerians held for cheating - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,