Kashmir protests murder of two sisters in SoporeFebruary 4th, 2011 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Sopore, Feb 4 (IANS) A shutdown was observed in this north Kashmir town Friday and sporadic protests erupted in other parts of the valley against the murder of two sisters allegedly by the Lashkar-e-Taiba outfit here.Markets remained shut and transport went off the roads in Sopore, 54 km from Srinagar, following the protest called by hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani.
Sopore is the hometown of the separatist leader and considered his political stronghold. It has been the hotbed of separatist sentiment for the last two decades.
Protests were also held by women in the summer capital Srinagar against the killings that have received widespread condemnation from mainstream as well as separatist parties.
Protest rallies were also held in south Kashmir’s Anantnag town.
According to police, the two sisters were killed by LeT militants who have already been identified but are yet to be arrested,
But the LeT and the Muzaffarabad based United Jehad Council (UJC), the conglomerate of guerrilla groups active in the state, condemned the murder too and sought an independent probe to identify the killers.
- LeT, United Jehad Council condemn Sopore murders - Feb 03, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders still under house arrest - Aug 06, 2011
- What led Geelani to soften his separatist stand? - Oct 25, 2011
- Court extends remand of Sopore woman student - Jul 20, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- National Conference activist shot in Kashmir - Feb 05, 2011
- United Jehad Council rejects quiet dialogue on Kashmir - Dec 01, 2009
- Track Sopore girls' killers speedily, says Chidambaram - Feb 04, 2011
- Lashkar behind killing of Kashmir sisters, Omar says shame (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Separatist shutdown partially affects life in Kashmir - Nov 24, 2010
- Top Lashkar commander killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Curfew imposed to foil separatist march in Kashmir - Oct 22, 2010
- Militant in Sopore sisters' murder gunned down - Mar 13, 2011
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Mehbooba Mufti, Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: anantnag, condemnation, conglomerate, geelani, guerrilla groups, hotbed, independent probe, jehad, kashmir, killings, lashkar e taiba, muzaffarabad, north kashmir, protest rallies, protests, separatist leader, south kashmir, srinagar, stronghold, two sisters