Kashmir paralysed by strike, protests against death of two womenJune 1st, 2009 - 2:24 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 1 (IANS) A strike called by separatist leaders and protests by angry youth against the alleged rape and killing of two women in south Kashmir’s Shopian district last week paralysed Kashmir Valley Monday, as authorities tightened security.
The strike called by senior hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani was complete in Srinagar and many other towns in the valley. Shops, businesses, government offices, educational institutions and banks remained shut.
Restrictions were imposed in areas falling under five police stations to maintain law and order. Heavy police and paramilitary reinforcements were moved to Srinagar.
But despite the heightened security, angry youth held protests in several localities of the Jammu and Kashmir summer capital and other towns, shouting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.
The protesters also threw stones at vehicles and security forces, who responded by firing teargas and baton charged the mob.
Residents of Shopiyan allege that two young women, identified as 22-year-old Neelofar Jan and 17-year-old Asiya Jan, were raped and murdered by security forces Friday evening.
Their bodies were recovered from a field near a stream in village Nagbal near Shopian, nearly 60 km from here, Saturday morning.
Authorities have sealed Shopian and no movement is being allowed in the town following the incident.
The state government had announced that it was determined “to investigate and bring forth the truth with regard to the mysterious deaths of the two women”, but the protests have continued.
Divisional Commissioner of Kashmir Masood Samoon told reporters here that “if any conspiracy or foul play came to light with regard to the death of the two women, those involved would be turned over to justice”.
Reports from other district headquarters said there was palpable tension and that security had been beefed up.
- Protests continue in Srinagar over Shopian probe report - Dec 16, 2009
- Kashmir strike against CBI report into Shopian deaths - Dec 15, 2009
- Fresh protests in Srinagar over Shopian deaths - Dec 16, 2009
- Strike cripples life in parts of Kashmir - Jun 26, 2009
- Protests engulf Kashmir yet again over women's deaths (Second Lead) - Dec 15, 2009
- Forensic report confirms two Kashmiri women were raped - Jun 07, 2009
- Kashmir erupts in anger over CBI report on Shopian (Lead) - Dec 15, 2009
- Business, normal life get beating in Kashmir, indefinite strike called (Lead) - Jun 03, 2009
- Five injured in Kashmir firing, interlocutors visit Shopian (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2010
- Interlocutors visiting Shopian in south Kashmir - Oct 26, 2010
- Protests hit normal life, business in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2009
- Kashmir shutdown continues for sixth day (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Violent protests in Kashmir over death of women, probe ordered (Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil Shopian protest march - Jun 08, 2009
- 25 including 11 cops wounded in fresh Kashmir violence (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: angry youth, asiya, district headquarters, divisional commissioner, educational institutions, foul play, geelani, jammu, justice reports, kashmir, kashmir valley, mysterious deaths, paralysed, police stations, reinforcements, samoon, separatist leader, separatist leaders, south kashmir, teargas