Kashmir orchard owners set for rich dividends on bumper apple cropAugust 2nd, 2008 - 5:24 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Aug 2 (ANI): Orchard owners in Kashmir are looking forward to huge profits as they are expecting a bumper apple harvest this year.
Going by the bumper produce of the early varieties of apples, the orchard owners are ecstatic as they hope to reap rich dividend this season.
Good rainfall coupled with moderate temperatures and timely uses of pesticides have all combined to yield a good apple crop this year.
“This year the crop is good. Rainfall was good, the temperatures were also quite right, all in all the season was good for the crop. The Horticulture Department also kept on guiding us on the usage of pesticides and so we have a good crop this year as a result. We are hopeful of getting good money for our crops,” said Bashir Ahmed, an orchard owner.
Horticulture Department estimates apple production in the state to cross 1.2 million tonnes mark. It is also helping the apple growers in setting up new markets so that it becomes easy for them to sell their produce. It has also introduced some new exotic varieties of the fruit, which yield good results.
“The estimate of this years” apple production is set to cross 1.2 million metric tonnes. We have also established some new markets in addition to the old ones so that the growers can sell their crops with ease,” said Khursheed Ahmed Qasba, Director, Horticulture.
Kashmiri apples are known world over for their superb flavour.
Kashmir is known as the “Apple Bowl of India”. It is the major apple-producing region of the country. It is the mainstay of the local economy with hundreds of rural people eking out their livelihood from this industry. (ANI)
- Himachal apple yield looks ruddy again - Jan 25, 2012
- Cheers for cherry lovers with bountiful Himachal crop - May 27, 2012
- Himachal's apples - 70 percent less yield - Nov 01, 2011
- Poor yield makes Himachal apple business fruitful - Sep 09, 2011
- Adani procures apples from Himachal growers - Aug 14, 2011
- Snow cheers apple growers in Himachal - Jan 16, 2011
- Early Himachal apple varieties fetch high prices - Jul 16, 2012
- Brace up for high apple prices as Himachal's crop yield falls - Jun 13, 2011
- Hail punctures hopes of Himachal apple growers - May 01, 2012
- Changing climate damages apple crop in Uttarakhand - Jul 13, 2010
- Dry spell may upset Himachal's applecart - Jul 25, 2012
- Bumper crop of plums in Kashmir - Jul 14, 2009
- An apple a day to hit your monthly budget - Jul 24, 2011
- Apple growers expect bumper crop in Kullu - Apr 09, 2010
- Changing climate damages apple crop in Haldwani - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: apple bowl, apple crop, apple growers, apple harvest, apple production, aug 2, bashir, good apple, horticulture department, kashmir, kashmiri, livelihood, mainstay, metric tonnes, moderate temperatures, orchard, rainfall, rich dividends, uses of pesticides, varieties of apples