Kashmir officers salute RajuJune 21st, 2012 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 21 (IANS) Serving and retired officers in Jammu and Kashmir Thursday mourned the death of former colleague Radha Vinod Raju, calling him an ace investigator and a thorough professional.
Director General of Police K. Rajendra Kumar said Raju, an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer from the Jammu and Kashmir cadre who died in Kerala, was a multi-faceted personality.
“Honest, professionally competent, humane, lover of poetry and a good singer. It was always a pleasure to known and work with Raju,” Kumar told IANS.
Inspector General of Police Sheikh Owais remembered Raju as an ace investigator and one who always seemed to be in a hurry to help the needy.
Khwaja Bashir Ahmad, a retired senior bureaucrat, credited Raju with streamlining the state’s anti-corruption organisation.
“He worked relentlessly to streamline the police recruitment process. Officers with such high integrity, impeccable secular credentials as well as professional competence are rare to come by,” he said.
Raju served with distinction both in the Kashmir Valley and Jammu region for many years before finally becoming the head of India’s first National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Naeem Akhtar, a former bureaucrat, watched Raju’s career groom from a probationer to a commander.
“He was a human being of exceptional qualities. I lived with him in the same apartment for over two years. Though professionally very competent, he could never cast himself into the steel jacket that usually happens to police officers.”
Peer Ghulam Hassan Shah, the first director general of Jammu and Kashmir Police, expressed shock over Raju’s demise.
“He headed the first police recruitment board. He went to far flung areas like Nobra, Kishtwar, Mendhar and Paddar to recruit constables.
“He was secular, honest and competent. He earned the love and respect of those who served under or with him.”
G.M. Andrabi worked with Raju for over 30 years.
“I have no words to describe his simplicity, honesty, integrity, professional competence and above all the human qualities with which he endeared himself to everybody,” he said.
Raju, 62, died of lung complications in a Kochi hospital.
- Radha Vinod Raju: a rare security expert, fine professional (Tribute) - Jun 21, 2012
- Absconding major surfaces in US, says Al Qaeda present in Kashmir - Mar 01, 2011
- Radha Vinod Raju is dead - Jun 21, 2012
- Former NIA chief Radha Vinod Raju is dead (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Top Kashmir woman separatist leader arrested (Lead) - Aug 28, 2010
- CRPF will be readied to face multi-faceted challenges: Vijay Kumar (Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Those who ordered Andrabi's killing still at large, says brother - Jun 12, 2012
- Vijay Kumar to take charge of CRPF Wednesday - Oct 05, 2010
- CBI raids over illegal human trafficking - Apr 22, 2011
- NIA chief Raju is an authority on LTTE (Profile) - Jan 15, 2009
- India rebuffs Pakistan's "unwarranted" attempt to raise Kashmir at UN - Oct 11, 2011
- Protests in Jammu against new job policy - Nov 03, 2011
- India remembers hero of 1947 Pakistan war - Jul 15, 2012
- Neeraj Kumar is new Delhi Police chief (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Jammu gets first traffic light - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: bashir ahmad, bureaucrat, constables, indian police service, investigation agency, jammu and kashmir, kashmir valley, khwaja, multi faceted, naeem, national investigation, owais, police recruitment, probationer, professional competence, professional director, rajendra kumar, recruitment board, srinagar, steel jacket