Kashmir observes shutdown in protest against conviction of six KashmirisApril 13th, 2010 - 2:33 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Apr 13 (ANI): The hardliner faction of the Hurriyat Conference which is led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani spearheaded a shutdown in the Kashmir Valley on Tuesday in protest against the conviction of six Kashmiris, including a woman, Farida Behanji, for their alleged involvement in the Lajpat Nagar bomb blast case in New Delhi.
The Patiala House Court in New Delhi had on Thursday convicted the six people.Shops, business establishments and private schools in Kashmir remained closed, while p Public and private transport was also off the roads.
Elaborate security arrangements were made to avoid untoward incident.
“The All Parties Hurriyat Conference called for a complete shutdown in Kashmir and all the business establishments and everything will remain closed,” said Reyaz Ahmad, a local.
The blasts rocked Lajpat Nagar’s Central Market area on May 21, 1996, killing 13 and injuring several others.
The accused were arrested soon after the incident, after police tracked calls made by them to various media houses, claiming responsibility for the terror attack.
Of the six convicted, four, Mohammad Naushad, Mohammad Ali Bhatt, Mirza Nissar Hussain and Javed Ahmed Khan, have been convicted on serious charges and face the maximum punishment of death penalty.
Two others, Farooq Ahmed Khan and Farida Dar, were held guilty under relatively lighter provisions of the Explosive Substances Act and the Arms Act. (ANI)
- Sentencing of Lajpat Nagar blast convicts tomorrow - Apr 21, 2010
- APHC protests death sentence to Kashmiris in 1996 bomb blast case - Apr 24, 2010
- Lajpat Nagar blast: High court reserves order on pleas - Oct 12, 2011
- Lajpat Nagar blast: Police seek death for three - Sep 21, 2011
- Lajpat Nagar blast case: Two convicts may walk free - Apr 22, 2010
- Lajpat Nagar blast sentencing deferred to April 22 - Apr 17, 2010
- Six convicted for role in 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast - Apr 08, 2010
- Enough proof against Lajpat Nagar blast accused: Police (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
- Three get death for 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Three sent to gallows for Lajpat Nagar Blast (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Gallows for three in Lajpat Nagar bombing (Third Lead, superseding earlier story) - Apr 22, 2010
- Six convicted, four acquitted in Lajpat Nagar bomb blast case (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Separatist shutdown cripples life in Srinagar - Apr 13, 2010
- Cops, CRPF troopers stoned in Srinagar - Apr 13, 2010
- Separatists call for shutdown over death penalty to militants - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,