Kashmir mosque siege on as militant refuses to give up (Lead)October 18th, 2010 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 18 (IANS) The standoff between an injured guerrilla hiding in a mosque in Kashmir’s Bandipora district and the security forces continued Monday evening as a village cleric and elders failed to persuade the militant to surrender.
“The injured militant lobbed a grenade at the surrounding security men who did not retaliate in deference to the mosque inside which the militant is hiding,” a senior police officer said here.
The injured militant took shelter in the mosque in Dabban village after a gun battle early Monday morning when a group of militants moving around in the forest area near Dabban village was surrounded by personnel of the counter-insurgency force, the Rahstriya Rifles and state police.
The militants were challenged to surrender but instead opened fire on the security forces.
“One terrorist was killed and another injured in a gunfight with the security forces in forest foothill village of Dabban in Bandipora district early today (Monday). The injured terrorist entered the mosque in the village,” Army’s 15 Corps spokesman Lt. Col. J.S. Brar told IANS here.
“The local imam and village elders had tried earlier to persuade the holed up guerrilla to surrender, but failed,” Brar added.
Senior police and army officers have rushed to the spot to ensure that the situation is defused without causing any damage to the mosque.
Security forces, meanwhile, tightened the cordon around the mosque and put up flashlights to ensure the guerrilla does not escape in the cover of darkness.
- Kashmir guerrilla holed up in mosque dies - Oct 19, 2010
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Feb 04, 2012
- Policeman injured in Kashmir gunfight - Dec 10, 2010
- Four guerrillas, two soldiers killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 07, 2010
- Five LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfights - Mar 28, 2012
- Five guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Jul 07, 2012
- LeT commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 19, 2010
- Army major, soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - May 05, 2010
- Slain Kashmir youth was militant, reiterates army - Jul 26, 2012
- Hostage rescued, gunfight starts in Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Two militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 27, 2011
- Seven guerrillas, soldier killed in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2010
- Protests in Kashmir over youth's killing - Jul 25, 2012
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: army officers, brar, cleric, cover of darkness, deference, early monday morning, flashlights, foothill village, forest area, guerrilla, gun battle, gunfight, imam, kashmir, mosque, security forces, security men, standoff, state police, village elders