Kashmir locals help police in chasing militantsAugust 25th, 2012 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 25 (IANS) People in the old city areas of summer capital Srinagar helped police chase militants who had snatched a service rifle a day ago, said an official here Saturday.
K. Rajendra Kumar, additional director general (ADG) law and order, Saturday told IANS: “I have conveyed my appreciation to the people of old city who helped our boys catch and overpower two militants who were running away after snatching the service rifle of a policeman.”
The militants were chased in the old city area after they tried to escape in an autorickshaw, he said.
“The service rifle along with a Chinese pistol was recovered. Although the militants managed to escape, the courage and cooperation of the locals in this incident is exemplary,” Kumar added.
Two militants Friday afternoon snatched the Insas service rifle of constable Nazir Ahmad while he was on duty at sentry post 4, outside the Jamia mosque in Nowhatta old city area.
The old city areas of Srinagar city are generally seen as bastions of separatists where Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group has a large following.
Most of the guerrilla attacks on the security forces during peak years of separatist violence were carried out in the old city areas of Srinagar.
- No Friday curfew in Srinagar after six weeks - Nov 12, 2010
- People anguished at Maulana Showkat's murder: Mirwaiz - Apr 22, 2011
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Separatist shutdown, official curbs mar Srinagar life - May 21, 2012
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Normalcy slowly returning to Srinagar - Jun 27, 2012
- Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2011
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Separatist leaders under house arrest, restrictions in Srinagar - Jul 13, 2012
- Autonomy no solution to Kashmir problem: Mirwaiz Farooq - Aug 13, 2010
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Restrictions, shutdown cripple Srinagar - Jun 21, 2010
- Geelani to intensify stir ahead of Obama's India visit - Oct 30, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in gunfight in Kashmir - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: autorickshaw, bastions, city areas, constable, friday afternoon, guerrilla attacks, hurriyat, jamia mosque, kashmir, law and order, militants, nazir ahmad, peak years, police chase, rajendra kumar, security forces, sentry post, separatist violence, separatists, service rifle