Kashmir interlocutors meet BJP leadersJanuary 17th, 2011 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 17 (IANS) For the first time since they were appointed over three months ago, the three interlocutors on Kashmir held a meeting with Bharatiya Janata Party leaders here Monday. The party had announced its boycott of the government-appointed interlocutors during their first visit of the state in October last year.The three interlocutors - journalist Dileep Padgaonkar, noted international studies professor Radha Kumar and former information commissioner M.M. Ansari - drove to the BJP office in a congested Jammu locality, Kacchi Chawani, and interacted with the senior leaders.
The BJP’s state unit president Shamsher Singh Manhas and his predecessor and MLA Ashok Khajuria were among those who spoke to the interlocutors and told them what they felt was the way forward for Jammu and Kashmir.
“Article 370, which gives special status to Jammu and Kashmir within the Indian union, should be scrapped. That would end all doubts over the issue and there would be no problem,” Manhas told the interlocutors, according to a party official.
The interlocutors took copious notes of the BJP leaders’ views and also asked them about the purpose of the party’s plans to unfurl the national tricolour in Srinagar Jan 26, to which Manhas is reported to have responded that the move was to “underscore national unity”.
“We believe that Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India, as citizens of this country we have the right to hoist the flag anywhere in the country,” he said.
The visit of the interlocutors Monday - their fourth to the state - is in sharp contrast to their first visit when the BJP leaders had raised objection to their statements and decided not to meet them. The intelocutors are visiting Jammu region for the second time.
At that time Manhas had said that the “interlocutors were speaking like separatists”. He was against the observations of Padgaonkar that “Kashmir issue had to be settled by talking to Pakistan”.
The BJP believes that Kashmir issue is settled and the only issue to be settled was the vacation of the territory of the state “illegally held by Pakistan”.
- Jammu leaders pitch for delimitation of seats - Jan 18, 2011
- Interlocutors visit Kot Bhalwal jail in Jammu (Third Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Jammu-Kashmir BJP unit to boycott visiting interlocutors - Oct 27, 2010
- Kashmir interlocutors ask BJP to reconsider flag hoisting plan - Jan 19, 2011
- BJP, jailed separatists boycott interlocutors in Jammu (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Interlocutors have changed Kashmir discourse: Chidambaram - Jan 04, 2011
- Congress leaders will be kept in loop on Kashmir roadmap, assures Chidambaram (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- BJP's Kashmir unit calls for boycott of central government interlocutors - Oct 28, 2010
- Kashmir interlocutors to submit 'initial' report in two weeks - Feb 23, 2011
- Kashmir interlocutors' report ambiguous: Rajnath Singh - Jun 01, 2012
- Irresponsible criticism will hinder interlocutors' work: Congress - Oct 25, 2010
- Chidambaram to visit Jammu and Kashmir Feb 3 - Jan 30, 2011
- Advani hits out at Omar, interlocutors - Dec 14, 2010
- BJP to make fresh assessment of Kashmir situation - May 28, 2012
- We know what we are talking about, says Padgaonkar - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: ansari, ashok, bjp leaders, boycott, copious notes, information commissioner, interlocutors, international studies professor, jammu and kashmir, janata party, kashmir, locality, manhas, national unity, objection, party leaders, predecessor, shamsher singh, srinagar, tricolour