Kashmir human rights panel summons police officerAugust 23rd, 2012 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 23 (IANS) The Jammu and Kashmir human rights panel Thursday directed a police officer to appear before it in connection with alleged use of excessive force against a woman protestor in Srinagar last month.
Javaid Kawos, member of the state human rights commission, issued directions to the Srinagar senior superintendent of police to appear before the panel Oct 4.
“The commission has taken suo moto cognizance of a woman protestor fainting after police quelled a protest in Batmaloo area in July where the locals had hit the road against acute shortage of electricity,” a source in the rights panel told IANS.
The source said that the commission earlier sought a report on the incident from the director general of police and the senior superintendent of police.
“The report was not submitted on the scheduled date and today the commission asked the Srinagar senior superintendent of police to appear in person on Oct 4,” the source said.
The panel sought a reply on why women police personnel were allegedly not present to control the protestors, the source said.
The victim was allegedly pushed by a policeman, causing her to faint on the road, the source said.
- Kashmir rights panel slams staged shootouts - Jul 19, 2012
- Notice issued to LAWDA over Srinagar farmhouse - Apr 25, 2012
- Compensate woman mistreated by police, NHRC tells Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- Kashmir rights panel headless, cases pile up - Feb 03, 2012
- Rights panel orders arrest of senior Kashmir cop (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- NHRC sends notice in Soni Sori case - Oct 11, 2011
- Act against Mumbai rioters: activist - Aug 19, 2012
- Bedi panel turns down plea for Omar's cross-examination - Apr 27, 2012
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Uttar Pradesh on journalist's detention - Jun 28, 2011
- Kashmir rights panel orders arrest of senior cop - Dec 20, 2011
- Protests against finance firms as two more commit suicide - Oct 11, 2010
- Court seeks police report over attack on engineer - Feb 22, 2012
- NCPCR seeks report from Karnataka on RTE opposition (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh Police for dereliction of duty - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: acute shortage, cognizance, electricity, excessive force, human rights commission, human rights panel, kashmir, locals, police officer, policeman, protest, protestor, protestors, reply, state human rights, summons, superintendent, women police