Kashmir gets swanky Haj House for pilgrimsNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:20 am ICT by admin
The Haj House has arrangements for absolutions, foreign exchange, immigration and other passenger amenities under one roof.
Azad said that the Haj House would be beneficial because in the coming years the pilgrimage would take place during winters, when the pilgrims would be required to reach the airport in early morning hours and may have to face flight delays due to bad weather.
“Then sometimes if the flights get cancelled due to bad weather, they have to return all the way back. So, for this reason this has been provided,” Azad said.
Azad said that by 2008, there would be better facilities when the construction of the Haj House would be complete.
The Haj House is being constructed in two phases, at an estimated cost of Rs 105 million. The first phase of the Haj House was completed in 300 days by the Jammu and Kashmir Projects Construction Corporation (JKPCC).
The first batch of the Haj pilgrims will leave for Jeddah in Saudi Arabia on Sunday directly from the Haj House.
“Till today we had not hoped for such a thing to happen. But today with Allah’s blessings, this Haj House has opened having every facility,” said Saifullah Khan, a Srinagar resident.
Every year more than 70,000 pilgrims from India visit the Muslim’s holy place. Over two million pilgrims undertake the journey each year from all over the world.
The Haj involves weeklong celebrations and takes place nearly 70 days after the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
About 110,000 pilgrims will be covered under the government subsidy scheme during the Haj operations this year.
The total cost of operation for Haj 2007 is estimated to be around Rs. 519 crores (Rs. 5.19 billion). (ANI)
- First flight of Haj pilgrims arrives in Srinagar - Nov 30, 2011
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- After 4 years, fly Srinagar-Jeddah this Haj - Sep 12, 2012
- First 'Haj flight' from Srinagar leaves Oct 20 - Oct 15, 2009
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- First Haj flight leaves Srinagar for Jeddah - Oct 20, 2009
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Apex court seeks details of Haj quota - May 08, 2012
- Valid passports must for Indian Haj pilgrimage from 2012 - May 22, 2012
- UP wants centre to increase Haj quota - May 15, 2012
- Over dozen Amarnath pilgrims injured in cane charge - Jul 02, 2011
- India pays Rs.600 crore as Haj subsidy annually - May 08, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: 300, azad, bad weather, beneficial, chief minister, construction corporation, crores, flight delays, ghulam nabi, government subsidy, haj pilgrims, holy month of ramadan, india visit, jammu and kashmir, jeddah, passenger amenities, saifullah, srinagar, subsidy scheme, swanky