Kashmir expects a bumper paddy cropJune 7th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, June7 (ANI): Farmers in Kashmir are upbeat with prospect of a bumper paddy crop of 500, 000 metric tonnes this year.
With the onset of summer, the sowing of paddy with transplantation of seedlings has started here. The sowing must end by June 21, when the day receives maximum sunlight.
To beat the deadline all the farmers including men, women and other farmhands are working together on transplanting paddy.
This occasion is special for all. Farmers rent the air with their folksongs in chorus to keep away the drudgery of work.
They believe that singing and dancing during the transplanting will make their ancestors happy and bless them for a bumper crop.
“This is a very happy season for us. We dance and sing to celebrate this,” said Dilaver khan, a farmer.
Paddy is the principal crop in the valley and the state government has distributed high-yielding seeds and provided subsidies to farmers to buy fertilizers to surpass last year’s output.
The officials say the conditions are favourable for this.
“Last year, on a land of around 160, 000 hectares, we got a yield of 495, 000 metric tonnes of rice, this year we expect a better crop. Rains have also been good. We expect a yield of around 500, 000 metric tones this year,” said V. Mooza, Joint Director Agriculture, Kashmir.
Farming and related activity provide a livelihood to over two-thirds of India’s 1.1 billion people. (ANI)
- Good rainfall allays fear of drought in Bihar - Aug 10, 2011
- Rains brings hope to Bihar farmers - Jul 09, 2012
- Poor rain hits paddy transplantation in Bihar - Jul 30, 2012
- Mango farmers rejoice over bumper crop in Uttarakhand - Apr 16, 2011
- Bihar procures record paddy but farmers' cheques bounce - Apr 07, 2012
- Drought-hit Bihar braces for rice scarcity - Dec 06, 2010
- Bihar procures 16 lakh tonnes of paddy - Mar 16, 2012
- After drought, bumper paddy crop cheers Bihar farmers - Dec 12, 2011
- Kashmir farmers in good spirits ahead of paddy transplantation season - Jun 05, 2008
- Bihar set for a normal monsoon - Jun 08, 2011
- Kashmir farmers get bumper plum crop - Jul 19, 2010
- Fear of drought haunts Bihar again - Jul 03, 2012
- 'Punjab deputy commissioners accountable for paddy procurement' - Oct 16, 2010
- Punjab expects bumper paddy crop due to heavy rains - Jun 17, 2011
- Fields full of ripe paddy in valley of unrest (Feature) - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: 1 billion, ancestors, bumper crop, drudgery, farmers, farmhands, farming, fertilizers, june 21, kashmir, livelihood, maximum sunlight, men women, mooza, principal crop, seedlings, state government, subsidies, transplantation, two thirds