Kashmir custodial death: Another cop heldAugust 10th, 2011 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 10 (IANS) A Jammu and Kashmir Police constable was arrested Wednesday for the custodial death of a 26-year-old man in north Kashmir’s Sopore town last month. He is the third policeman to be held in the case.
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) arrested Head Constable Janak Raj, a police statement here said. Two constables have already been arrested by the SIT.
Nazim Rashid alias Naveed Anjum was picked by the special operations group (SOG) of the state police July 30 after families of two people killed by terrorists in Sopore linked Rashid to the murders.
The man died in police custody during the night of July 30-31. His body was handed over to his family.
The state government immediately suspended three police personnel, including a sub-inspector and two constables, posted at the SOG camp where the man died.
A deputy superintendent of police was attached to the zonal police headquarters in Srinagar, pending a magisterial enquiry into the death.
There have been demonstrations at many places in the Valley following the death.
- Two cops arrested in Sopore custodial death case - Aug 07, 2011
- Autopsy confirms Kashmir youth was tortured - Aug 04, 2011
- Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar - Aug 02, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders still under house arrest - Aug 06, 2011
- NHRC takes up Kashmir custodial death case - Aug 04, 2011
- Shabir Shah arrested in Srinagar - Aug 17, 2011
- Mehbooba Mufti, Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 31, 2011
- Youth dies in Kashmir police custody, tension in town - Jul 31, 2011
- Omar vows action against custodial killing - Aug 01, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Stones pelted at PDP leaders in Sopore - Aug 02, 2011
- Violent clashes in Indian-administered Kashmir after youth dies in custody - Aug 01, 2011
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Policeman, militant killed in Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Delhi cop who caused man's death arrested - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: anjum, constables, custodial death, deputy superintendent, head constable, investigation team, jammu and kashmir, janak, kashmir, naveed, nazim, north kashmir, police constable, police custody, police headquarters, police statement, rashid, sog, special operations group, state police