Kashmir cabinet to study AFSPA’s continuanceDecember 30th, 2011 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 30 (IANS) The Jammu and Kashmir cabinet is likely to meet Monday to examine the situation with the Armed Forces Special Powers Act still in force in the state, despite Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s declaration in October that it would go “within days”, informed sources said.
The cabinet meeting would be held against the backdrop of the raging controversy over the continuance of the AFSPA in Jammu and Kashmir and the chief minister unable to get it revoked despite his persistent efforts and meetings with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Home Minister P. Chidambaram, the sources told IANS.
“The cabinet meeting was overdue as it could not be held since the chief minister was out of the country for 10 days,” a minister told IANS.
- Omar briefs cabinet on Delhi talks on AFSPA - Nov 24, 2011
- AFSPA will be revoked one day: Farooq - Nov 25, 2011
- Kashmir's Unified Command can decide on AFSPA: Antony - Nov 11, 2011
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
- Cabinet discusses AFSPA, reviews situation in Kashmir - Oct 27, 2011
- Farooq backs 'boss' Omar on AFSPA - Nov 17, 2011
- Antony reviews security situation - Nov 15, 2011
- No decision on AFSPA yet, indicates PM - Nov 12, 2011
- Indian Army chief meets Omar Adbullah on AFSPA - Nov 15, 2011
- Omar for denotifying disturbed areas in Kashmir - Dec 02, 2011
- AFSPA: Omar meets PM, Chidambaram; no time limit, says Antony - Nov 15, 2011
- Centre can repeal AFSPA: Kashmir government - Sep 03, 2011
- Chidambaram, Antony need to concur on AFSPA: Khurshid - Oct 25, 2011
- Omar speaks to Chidambaram about AFSPA removal - Nov 09, 2011
- Removing AFSPA no reflection on army, says Omar - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: afspa, antony, armed forces, backdrop, cabinet meeting, chief minister, continuance, controversy, defence minister, home minister, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, manmohan, manmohan singh, p chidambaram, persistent efforts, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh