Kasab’s trial delayed by a week

April 5th, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by ANI  

Mumbai, Apr. 5 (ANI): The trial date of Mohammed Amir Ajmal Kasab, the lone captured terrorist in the Mumbai attacks, has been put off by a week as the construction of the special court is not yet over.

Pakistani national Kasab’s trial was scheduled to begin in the premises of Arthur Road central jail on Monday.

“The construction of court’s slab is still on and the work is expected to be completed in six to seven days,” special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said.

Kasab and two others would be produced before the sessions court tomorrow through video conference facility, Nikam said.

This court is now in south Mumbai and would shift to Arthur Road jail after the construction of the new court is over.

Jail authorities were informed by the Public Works Department that the construction work, that began last month, would be over soon.

Only then PWD will be able to hand over the court premises to the jail authorities.

A portion of the jail has been segregated for Kasab’s cell and the court. The authorities have built a bomb-proof tunnel between Kasab’s cell and the court to allow Kasab direct access to the court from the prison.

Earlier TADA court, which conducted the 1993 bomb blast trial was housed here. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |