Kasab’s trial beginsApril 17th, 2009 - 2:09 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr 17 (ANI): The trial of Ajamal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the Mumbai attacks, began here today.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujwal Nikam, who opened the arguments against Kasab, Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, have been booked in 12 cases related to the terror strikes.
The prosecution case has sought for Kasab to be charged under 166 separate counts of murder along with Ansari and Ahmed.
On Thursday, a Special Sessions Court appointed Abbas Kazmi as new lawyer of Kasab to defend him as per Indian law.
Earlier, Special Judge M L Tahiliyani had revoked the appointment of Anjali Waghmare, the lawyer who was appointed to defend Kasab, on grounds of ‘professional misconduct’.
Waghmare was removed because it turned out that she was also representing a witness in connection with the Mumbai terror attacks.
Waghmare said that the special court had not accused her of ‘professional misconduct’, and this was all a figment of the media’s imagination. (ANI)
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- Kasab's trial to begin today - Apr 17, 2009
- Mumbai attack: Court reserves order on Kasab's appeal - Jan 17, 2011
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Kasab gets new lawyer - Apr 16, 2009
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- 26/11 terror attack: Mumbai Court to pronounce verdict tomorrow - May 02, 2010
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Court rejects 26/11 terror accused Faheem Ansari's bail plea - Feb 22, 2010
- Mumbai prosecutor Nikam demands death sentence for Kasab - May 04, 2010
- Kasab's lawyer found lying, judge threatens to replace him - Nov 26, 2009
- Kasab death penalty: Arguments in high court begin Oct 18 - Oct 07, 2010
- Kasab will be asked to appeal: Lawyer - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: abbas, ahmed, amir, anjali, ansari, appointment, figment, imagination, kasab, kazmi, lawyer, nikam, professional misconduct, prosecution case, public prosecutor, sessions court, special judge, special sessions, terror attacks, witness