Kasab’s lawyer to challenge removal from Islamic GymkhanaMay 17th, 2009 - 1:54 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, May 17 (ANI): Advocate Abbas Kazmi, who represent Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of Mumbai terror attacks, today said that he would move to court to challenge the controversial decision of Islamic Gymkhana of removing him as itstrustee, saying that defending a criminal is against the teachings of Islam.
Kazmi said the decision is totally illegal.
Kazmi’s appointment as a trustee of the Islamic Gymkhana was terminated in April on the ground of defending terrorist.
Gymkhana had sent Kazmi a letter saying, “You have agreed to defend the most dreaded terrorist Kasab. This is against the essence of Islam and there is no place for terrorism in Islam. To maintain Gymkhana’s integrity, your trusteeship is being terminated.”
However Kazmi said the Gymkhana is not a Muslim body but an association of persons.
“I am performing my professional duty. The court has appointed me to take up Kasab’s case and I have followed the directive,” he added.
Kazmi, a private lawyer has been appointed to defend Kasab as per Indian law on April 16.
He is well-known name in the legal circle and is a member of the Sessions Bar Council. (ANI)
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- I was denied legal help, Kasab tells apex court (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Apex court appoints senior counsel to defend Kasab - Sep 21, 2011
- Apex court to hear Kasab's plea Monday - Oct 09, 2011
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Expenditure on Kasab not as high as projected: Lawyers - Nov 25, 2011
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- Kasab oblivious to seriousness of charges: new lawyer - Apr 16, 2009
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- Kasab gets new lawyer to defend him - Apr 16, 2009
- Kasab gets new lawyer - Apr 16, 2009
- India welcomes Pakistan judicial commission's visit - Nov 05, 2011
- Mumbai attack: Indian envoy meets Pakistani minister - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: abbas, advocate, amir, appointment, controversial decision, gymkhana, integrity, kasab, kazmi, mumbai, muslim, private lawyer, professional duty, sessions, teachings of islam, terror attacks, terrorism, terrorist, trustee, trusteeship