Kasab planned to target Malabar Hills too during the Mumbai attacksApril 19th, 2009 - 1:34 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr 19 (ANI): Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone survivour of Mumbai terror attacks, has confessed that he and his associate were also planning to attack the posh Malabar Hills area of the city.
Located in south Mumbai, Malabar Hills is home to Maharashtra’s top officials and businessmen.
Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said that Kasab’s retraction from his earlier confessional statement, saying it was made under duress, would have no effect on the trial.
“The confessional statement from which Kasab has retracted will have no effect on the case. Although this has been proved that Kasab and his associates had pre-planned the attack on Mumbai and had their training in Pakistan. And after coming to India, he retracted from his confessional statement and thereafter his saying that he was juvenile, was all a part of this planning,” said Nikam.
Kasab could face the gallows if found guilty.
“Nikam told the court on which evidence he is going to reply and what all material his prosecution team had collected,” said Abbas Kazmi, defence attorney.
Kasab has been charged with criminal conspiracy, waging war against nation, committing robbery and has also been under various other Indian Penal Code sections.
Kasab has also been charged with the murder of Mumbai police officials Hemant Karkare, Tukaram Ombale, Vijay Salaskar, and Ashok Kamte.
Kasab has been booked for direct involvement in seven cases and as a co-conspirator in five cases. He has also been indirectly charged with killing people at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST). (ANI)
- Kasab planned to target Raj Bhavan too during the Mumbai attacks - Apr 20, 2009
- Kasab retracts confession, says it was made under duress - Apr 17, 2009
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- I was denied legal help, Kasab tells apex court (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- From Colaba to Chowpatty - retracing Kasab's footsteps on 26/11 - May 03, 2010
- Pakistani terrorists planned to attack Malabar Hill: Kasab - Apr 18, 2009
- 26/11 case: Nikam says he will challenge acquittal of co-accused - May 03, 2010
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Kasab is a killing machine, must get death: Prosecution (Lead) - May 04, 2010
- Mumbai prosecutor Nikam demands death sentence for Kasab - May 04, 2010
- 'Perverse' 26/11 attacker Kasab's death penalty upheld for attacking Indian state (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Kasab spills 26/11 beans, then wants to retract confession (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2009
- SC to decide Mumbai attacker Kasab's fate Wednesday - Aug 28, 2012
- Pakistani terrorist retracts confession, alleges police pressure (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Kasab's quantum of punishment to be decided on May 6 - May 04, 2010
Tags: ashok, chhatrapati shivaji terminus, code sections, coming to india, confessional statement, conspirator, criminal conspiracy, defence attorney, gallows, indian penal code, kazmi, malabar, police officials, prosecution team, public prosecutor, retraction, south mumbai, survivour, terror attacks, tukaram