Kasab charged with waging war against IndiaMay 6th, 2009 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, May 6 (ANI): A special court on Wednesday charged Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone survivor of the Mumbai terror attacks, with waging war against India.
Eight-six charges, including common and individual were framed against Kasab by the special court. He was also charged under the Explosives Act and the Arms Act.
Charges were also framed against him under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, the Custom Act, the Foreigners Act, the Prevention of Damage to Public Properties Act, conspiracy, murder, attempt to murder and causing grievous injury.
Kasab pleaded not guilty to the charges framed against him by the special court.
“I do not accept the charges,” he said. A trial court on Tuesday obtained sanctions from the Centre and the Maharashtra Government to prosecute Kasab and two others.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam filed “sanctions” that pertain to offences such as waging war against the nation, violation of Customs Act (by illegally bringing firearms to India), infringement of Explosives Act and Explosives Substances Act (using explosives) and Arms Act (opening fire with sophisticated weapons.
The Judge M L Tahaliyani accepted the “sanctions” and said the court would frame charges against the trio after considering the material against them.
Nikam informed the court that the prosecution had obtained sanction from the Customs Department to prosecute Kasab under Customs Act.
Kasab and his Pakistani associates had brought arms illegally to India to strike terror in Mumbai, the prosecutor said.
The Union Government has also given sanction to prosecute Kasab and others under IPC for “waging war against the nation”. (ANI)
- Court to frame charges against Kasab on Wednesday - May 05, 2009
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- First witness to Mumbai attacks identifies Kasab - May 08, 2009
- Mumbai prosecutor Nikam demands death sentence for Kasab - May 04, 2010
- Mumbai court to hear arguments, may sentence Kasab today - May 04, 2010
- Mumbai court charges Kasab with waging war against India - May 03, 2010
- 26/11 case: Nikam says he will challenge acquittal of co-accused - May 03, 2010
- Kasab is Satan, must get death: prosecution - May 04, 2010
- All set for 26/11 trial verdict - May 03, 2010
- Mumbai Special Court sentences Kasab to death - May 06, 2010
- Kasab's quantum of punishment to be decided on May 6 - May 04, 2010
- Prosecution hails death penalty for Kasab - Feb 21, 2011
- 26/11 case: Kasab appears via video-conferencing in Bombay High Court - Oct 21, 2010
- Kasab appeals against death sentence - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: act charges, ajmal, amir, custom act, customs department, explosives act, foreigners, ipc, lone survivor, maharashtra government, mumbai, murder attempt, prevention act, public prosecutor, sanction, sanctions, sophisticated weapons, terror attacks, trial court, union government