Karunanidhi warns UPA over Lanka Tamil issueJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Jan 23 (ANI): Tamilnadu Chief Minister, M. Karunanidhi has moved a resolution in the State assembly, urging the Centre to take tougher steps to ensure a cease fire in Sri Lanka.
The resolution has been touted the final request to the United Progressive Alliance.
Karunanidhi has warned that the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) will hold a general council meeting to initiate further action inn case the Government fails to act on the issue.
However, the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam has opposed the resolution saying that the move would serve no purpose as a similar issue has been issued to the Centre before.
Karunanidhi was under constant pressure from his allies to act strongly in the Lankan issue. He appreciated his party saying that the matter was taken up effectively only because the DMK is in power.
He also added that his party is willing to forego power if a separate Tamil land within Sri Lanka can be guaranteed. (ANI)
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Karunanidhi pledges to resolve fishermen killing issue with Sri Lanka - Mar 20, 2011
- TN polls: EC issues notice to Jayalalithaa, Vijayakanth - Apr 07, 2011
- Jayalalithaa says DMK seat-sharing differences with Congress a 'farce' - Mar 10, 2011
- Jayalalithaa calls for UN intervention against Lanka president for alleged war crimes - Apr 27, 2011
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- Amid pressure, PM says India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Karunanidhi hits back at Swamy, says no irregularities in land scam - Feb 08, 2011
- Fisherman killing: Jayalalithaa takes on Centre, demands PM's resignation - Jan 26, 2011
- India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka: PM (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Textile Minister Dayanidhi Maran lauds Karunanidhi during poll campaign - Apr 09, 2011
- Karunanidhi writes to PM over Lankan navy killing Indian fisherman - Jan 13, 2011
- Election Commission acting against DMK, alleges Alagiri - Apr 18, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011