Karunanidhi says can’t forgive LTTE for killing Rajiv GandhiApril 20th, 2009 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Apr 20 (ANI): Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi on Monday divulged from his earlier stand on Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) chief Velupillai Prabhakaran, and said that one cannot forget that LTTE was behind former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi’s death.
Speaking to reporters here, the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) supremo said that he never disagreed on the fact that LTTE was a terrorist outfit. He said that the LTTE did not start as a terrorist group, but became one over time.
“Prabhakaran was a freedom fighter who later turned into a terrorist, my statement was misinterpreted,” said Karunanidhi.
“I never said LTTE is not a terror group… I expressed concern for the Tamil cause in Sri Lanka,” he clarified.
“We cannot forgive the LTTE for killing Rajiv Gandhi…Sriperumbudur cannot be forgotten,” added Karunanidhi.
In an exclusive interview with NDTV on Sunday, Karunanidhi had said, “Prabhakaran is my good friend, and I am not a terrorist.”
“Some people involved in Prabhakran’s group may be involved in terrorism. But that is not Prabhakaran’s fault… The LTTE’s goals are legitimate and genuine, to bring about Tamil Eelam, but terrorism crept into the outfit,” he said.
The comments had apparently caused embarrassment to the Congress, forcing Karunanidhi to clarify himself. (ANI)
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran not a terrorist: M. Karunanidhi - Apr 19, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Jayalalithaa reiterates her opposition to LTTE - Jul 06, 2010
- Karunanidhi now says LTTE is terror group - Apr 20, 2009
- May 21, 1991: The assassination that also killed Tamil Eelam (Comment) - May 22, 2011
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Sparks fly in Tamil Nadu over Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 20, 2009
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- Prabhakaran to blame for LTTE's demise, says Karuna - Dec 14, 2010
- Karunanidhi clarifies - LTTE is terrorist group (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- LTTE tells India it is not trying to regroup - Nov 12, 2010
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- MDMK chief Vaiko demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: chennai, chief minister, congress, divulged, embarrassment, former prime minister, freedom fighter, good friend, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, m karunanidhi, ndtv, rajiv gandhi, sri lanka, sriperumbudur, tamil cause, terror group, terrorism, terrorist group, velupillai prabhakaran