Karunanidhi meets Prime Minister, discusses fishermen killingsJanuary 31st, 2011 - 4:22 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 31 (ANI): Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi met the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, here on Monday and is understood to have raised the issue of Indian fishermen being killed allegedly by the Sri Lankan Navy.
The Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) chief, who arrived here on Sunday on a three-day visit, met Dr. Singh at his Seven, Race Course Road residence and is believed to have asked the Prime Minister to tell Colombo not to resort to firing at fishermen, who cross the International Maritime Border.
It has been reported that Karunanidhi also discussed the seat sharing arrangement between the DMK and the Congress for the upcoming assembly polls in Tamil Nadu.
He is also scheduled to meet Congress President Sonia Gandhi later today.
On Sunday, Karunanidhi told reporters that he would meet the Prime Minister and Congress President to discuss the seat-sharing arrangement between the two parties.
“I am here for election (related) talks. I will be meeting the Prime Minister, Congress chief and discuss about the seat-sharing formula,” he added.
He said he would discuss the number of seats to be contested by the Congress in the assembly elections, which are due in May.
Karunanidhi also confirmed that the Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) would be part of the DMK-Congress alliance for the upcoming elections in the state.
He is also expected to attend the Chief Minister’s Conference on Internal Security on February 1.
Karunanidhi is accompanied by Union Ministers Dayanidhi Maran and Jagatratchakan, State Ministers Ponmudi and Duraimurugan and DMK Rajya Sabha member K Kanimozhi. (ANI)
- Karunanidhi to discuss seat-sharing with PM, Sonia - Jan 31, 2011
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- DMK, Congress poll pact talks inconclusive - Feb 20, 2011
- PMK to join DMK-Congress combine for Tamil Nadu polls - Jan 30, 2011
- Congress-DMK seat-sharing talks inconclusive - Feb 26, 2011
- DMK, Congress to conclude talks on identification of seats - Mar 11, 2011
- Raja's arrest will not affect ties with DMK, says Congress spokesman - Feb 02, 2011
- DMK, Congress sign formal agreement on seat sharing - Mar 09, 2011
- DMK, Congress to hold seat sharing talks Sunday - Feb 19, 2011
- DMK-Congress meeting to continue Thursday - Mar 03, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- DMK snaps alliance with Congress, quits UPA government (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- DMK, Congress in row over seat sharing (Evening Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, assembly polls, congress alliance, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, dayanidhi maran, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, dravida, indian fishermen, killings new, m karunanidhi, manmohan singh, meeting the prime minister, ponmudi, rajya sabha member, sri lankan navy, state ministers, union ministers, upcoming elections