Karunanidhi impressed by Sonia’s coalition dharma mantraNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:11 am ICT by admin
Karunanidhi wrote that he had read her speech with “great interest” and her “constructive approach” would go a long way in improving the country’s political atmosphere.
The DMK is an important constituent of the ruling UPA government at the Centre.
On Friday, Sonia had said that the UPA government was not looking for confrontation with the Left on the Indo-US nuclear deal because it is not in the ‘dharma’ of coalition.
The Government made a significant departure from its stand on the ongoing confrontation with the Left over the issue saying that a single issue does not drive the government.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the same function had said that if the nuclear deal fails to materialise, it would be a disappointment, but it would “not be the end of life.”
The Government’s climb down came after some constituents of the UPA coalition made their opposition to the holding of snap polls, as the UPA-Left confrontation had led to the rising possibility of a mid-term election. (ANI)
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi, Raja, Sharad Kumar in Tihar (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- DMK does not expect more ministerial berths: Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- DMK stands firm on Raja - Nov 14, 2010
- DMK's Baalu to attend UPA second anniversary - May 22, 2011
- Karunanidh to visit Delhi Monday, Baalu to attend UPA anniversary (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Second Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Karunanidhi in Delhi, to meet Kanimozhi in jail - May 23, 2011
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Karunanidhi reaches Tihar Jail to meet Kanimozhi (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Karunanidhi backs Advani' on CEC, CAG selection process - Jun 05, 2012
- UPA in crisis as DMK quits government, dumps Congress (Roundup) - Mar 05, 2011
- Congress rejects Jayalalithaa's offer of support (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi, cancels trip back home (Roundup) - May 23, 2011
- Sonia hopes for suitable outcome to Sri Lankan issue - Mar 20, 2012
- Karunanidhi says he never threatened to quit UPA (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
Tags: climb down, coalition, confrontation, constituent, constituents, constructive approach, dharma, dmk, indo, karunanidhi, mantra, mid term, nuclear deal, political atmosphere, prime minister manmohan singh, sonia, speak volumes, try and understand, UPA, vibrant words