Karunanidhi hits back at Swamy, says no irregularities in land scamFebruary 8th, 2011 - 4:40 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Feb 8 (ANI): Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) chief M Karunanidhi has refuted the charges of irregularities in the allotment of land under the discretionary quota, and hit back at Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy for seeking sanction for his prosecution on the issue.
Karunanidhi made a submission in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, saying the discretionary quota was not ‘DMK specific’ and had been in vogue even during the tenure of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK).
“Eighty five per cent of allotments were being made through draw of lots of applications for Tamil Nadu Housing Board lands and houses. The rest had been given under discretionary quota. The plots or houses under both categories had been given at the same price,” said Karunanidhi.
The DMK patriarch charged Swamy with trying to twist facts over the issue.
“Plots and houses had been given at market rate to both applicants and beneficiaries under discretionary quota. Tamil Nadu Housing Board fixed the price of the land or house based on current market value or the sub-registrar office guidelines, whichever was higher,” he added.
On Monday, Swamy sought the sanction of Governor Surjit Singh Barnala to prosecute Karunanidhi for alleged abuse of discretionary powers of his office in allotment of Tamil Nadu Housing Board flats and plots.
Demanding the immediate resignation of Karunanidhi, Swamy told journalists that this was only the first of the 23 cases of corruption in which he would seek the Governor’s permission to prosecute the Chief Minister.
Swamy handed over the petition, seeking the Governor’s sanction to prosecute the Chief Minister under Sections 11 and 13 of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, which deal with misconduct by public officials.
“The Tamil Nadu Housing Board has definite procedures for the allotment of flats and plots, that also govern the 15 per cent discretionary quota for the government. All that has been violated,” said Swamy.
“Tamil Nadu Housing Board allotments are meant for those who are not well-off and who do not already own property. But Karunanidhi gave (the flats) to IAS and IPS officers, judges, clerks and a wide range of persons who are already wealthy,” he added.
Swamy’s petition to the Governor includes a list of some ineligible persons, who have been allotted flats and plots in prime areas. Names include DMK party functionaries, IAS and IPS officials and their family members.
Swamy also called, in his petition, for the cancellation of all improper allotments and the reclaiming of such properties through the institution of a case in court. (ANI)
- Swamy seeks Karunanidhi's prosecution for land allotment (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Karunanidhi trashes Swamy's allegations in land allotment - Feb 08, 2011
- Swamy to seek governor's sanction to prosecute Karunanidhi - Feb 07, 2011
- Swamy seeks sanction to prosecute Karunanidhi - Feb 07, 2011
- Houses of three Karunanidhi PSOs raided - Mar 02, 2012
- Odisha abolishes discretionary housing quota - Dec 07, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- 2G scam: Karunanidhi sends legal notice to Swamy, it will land in dust bin, says Swamy - Feb 06, 2011
- Row over housing quota allotments in Odisha - Nov 14, 2011
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Karunanidhi to contest from Tiruvarur - Mar 17, 2011
- Homes of Tamil Nadu ex-intelligence chief, official's son raided - Jul 26, 2011
- Bengal plots for distinguished people under apex court scanner - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: aiadmk, allotment, allotments, chief minister, current market value, discretionary powers, discretionary quota, dravida munnetra kazhagam, housing board, irregularities, land scam, lands and houses, m karunanidhi, party president, patriarch, prevention of corruption act, public officials, registrar office, sanction, surjit singh