Karunanidhi appeals to all parties for united stand on Tamil issueFebruary 6th, 2009 - 8:14 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Feb. 6, (ANI): Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi on Friday appealed to all parties to speak in one voice and adopt a united stand on Sri Lankan Tamil issue.
The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) chief said a solution to the issues was elusive because of the infighting among Tamil groups in the Sri Lanka.
“There is no unanimity here also on the issue. If all of us remain united, the Tamil race in Sri Lanka will be saved,” Karunanidhi said.
Karunanidhi also expressed his unhappiness with the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) for its current stand of non-cooperation on the issue.
He, however, turned down the request to boycott the upcoming Lok Sabha polls and said, All parties should forget their political differences on this question as it did not have any connection with the Lok Sabha polls.
The Chief Minister denied that Central Government is a silent spectator and said: The Centre had asked Sri Lanka to ensure the safety of civilian Tamils caught in the war zone in the north and allow them to cross over to safe zones.” (ANI)
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- TN polls: EC issues notice to Jayalalithaa, Vijayakanth - Apr 07, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- Jayalalithaa calls for UN intervention against Lanka president for alleged war crimes - Apr 27, 2011
- Fisherman killing: Jayalalithaa takes on Centre, demands PM's resignation - Jan 26, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Jayalalithaa says DMK seat-sharing differences with Congress a 'farce' - Mar 10, 2011
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Textile Minister Dayanidhi Maran lauds Karunanidhi during poll campaign - Apr 09, 2011
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011
- Karunanidhi writes to PM over Lankan navy killing Indian fisherman - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, central government, chief minister, cooperation, current stand, India, infighting, lok sabha polls, m karunanidhi, political differences, spectator, sri lanka, sri lankan, tamil groups, tamils, unanimity, unhappiness, war zone