Karters bring cheers to India with superlative performanceMay 5th, 2008 - 5:14 pm ICT by admin
Coimbatore, May 5 (ANI): Indian Go Kart drivers drew cheers from the home crowd as they won the Asia Challenge crown in Coimbatore on Sunday.
In the second leg of Asia Karting Challenge 2008, over 100 Karting drivers from Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Singapore, and India took part.
Karters went through their paces, overcoming difficult conditions and sweltering heat at the Kari Memorial Sports Track. Race was conducted in five categories for seniors and juniors, where specially Akhil Khushlani and Parath Ghorpade stole the show.
“It’s a great moment for me as I won in both categories, - Rotax Junior, the Indian Challenge junior and the Asia Challenge. I am feeling great to win this. It was quite a tough race. I hope this continues throughout the season,” said Ghorpade.
Khushlani too made a solid start to pip well-known driver, Mikko Nassi of Finland, who had won the third place in the senior category in the first leg that was held in Malaysia last month.
The mini cars used in Go Karting are fitted with very high-speed engines that can go up to a top speed of 140 to 150 kilometers.
Petrol driven, these cars have no gears and do not require any prior driving experience.
One only needs enough courage to accelerate and burn the tyre. The tracks are designed on formula racing cars’ technique to get the feel of skidding wheels on every sharp turns and curves.
Motor racing sports in India is a new phenomena and the country lacks infrastructure for formula races for speedsters to hit racing tracks. (ANI)
- Ghorpade signs up for Formula Pilota - May 29, 2012
- Ghorpade shortlisted for place in FIA academy - Nov 08, 2011
- Tough start for Indian karters - Apr 24, 2012
- JK Racing: Khushlani replaces Patel for Silverstone round - Sep 07, 2012
- Double for Mohite's Racing - Aug 05, 2012
- Karting Nationals: Parth tops among seniors - Aug 20, 2010
- Double for Team Maini Racing - Jul 22, 2012
- India racing drivers struggling to make a mark (Motorsport Yearender) - Dec 22, 2009
- Maiden win for Ameya Bafna in Rotax Karting - Jul 10, 2011
- Akhil wins Asia Zone karting - May 04, 2008
- JK Racing: Khushlani bags second spot - Sep 10, 2012
- JK National Racing Championship promises faster action - Jul 06, 2012
- Chittesh, Maini brothers dominate at Rotax Karting - Jul 09, 2011
- Top racers for Endurance Festival of Speed - Jan 16, 2010
- Danigod tops in Micro class - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: akhil, driving experience, go karting, great moment, home crowd, indian challenge, kart drivers, mini cars, nassi, paces, parath, pip, racing cars, racing sports, seniors and juniors, speed engines, speedsters, sports in india, superlative performance, sweltering heat