Karnataka women protest against attack on girls in MangaloreJanuary 28th, 2009 - 1:06 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Jan 28 (ANI): Women staged a human chain demonstration in Bangalore on Tuesday to protest against the attack on women by activists of the radical Sri Ram Sena in Mangalore last Saturday.
Holding placards and banners, the women raised slogans against attacks on progressively minded girls.
The activists also raised slogans against the State Government for not taking immediate action.
“We are protesting because we are very angry with the incident that happened in Mangalore over the weekend and even we are angrier because the State Government has not bothered to take action immediately,” said Sudha, a woman activist.
“There have been several actions that have called for protest like this. But this one I think is really outrageous on any sense of propriety and any sense of freedom that women in this country have,” said Arati Mudgil, another woman activist.
The Karnataka Police has arrested the State convener of the Sri Ram Sena, Prasad Attavar for his role in the attack. The Police have also arrested Pramod Muthalik, the president of the Karnataka unit of the Shiv Sena.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) has constituted a three-member team to investigate the attack.
The NCW has also asked the Director General Of Police (DGP), Karnataka, to send an action taken report to the commission in the matter.
Twenty seven people have been arrested so far. (ANI)
- Karnataka Police arrests Ram Sena leader - Jan 27, 2009
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Mangalore hooligans get bail, their leader promises to behave (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Black-faced Muthalik demands justice - Feb 12, 2010
- 'Rent-a-riot' Muthalik pays for his fanaticism (Letter from Bangalore) - May 21, 2010
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Mangalore pub attack: Muthalik, 27 supporters get bail - Jan 31, 2009
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- Ram Sene chief Muthalik attacked in Bangalore - Feb 11, 2010
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Court denies bail to Shri Ram Sena chief - Jan 30, 2009
- All accused get bail in Mangalore pub attack case - Jan 31, 2009
- False allegations leveled against Sri Ram Sena: Muthalik - Feb 07, 2009
- Mangalore pub's licence should be cancelled: NCW - Jan 31, 2009
Tags: activist, activists, bangalore, convener, demonstration, freedom, jan 28, karnataka police, last saturday, member team, minded girls, ncw, placards, propriety, protest, shiv sena, slogans, sri ram, state government