Karnataka Police arrests Ram Sena leaderJanuary 27th, 2009 - 11:13 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore , Jan 27, (ANI): Karnataka Police on Tuesday arrested the State convener of the Sri Ram Sena, Prasad Attavar for his role in the attack on women at a pub in Mangalore.
The Police also arrested Pramod Muthalik, the president of the Karnataka unit.
Public anger prompted the law enforcement authorities to arrest Attavar.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) has constituted a three-member team to investigate the attack.
The NCW has also asked the director general of police (DGP), Karnataka, to send an action taken report to the commission in the matter.
NCW chairperson Girija Vyas said the commission would decide on the future of course of action after Karnataka Police sends its report.
“This is a horrific crime and strict punishment should be meted out to the culprits,” Vyas said.
Twenty seven people have been arrested so far.
Karnataka Chief Minister B. S. Yeddyurappa on Tuesday said the police is gathering evidence on top functionaries.
The government will not tolerate people taking law into their hands and indulging in criminal activities. Police is gathering evidence on the top functionaries for the arrest, he said.
Yeddyurappa also ruled out any link between the Ram Sena and the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP).
I am telling this honestly, the party has nothing to do with the Sena, who have brought disgrace to the state, he added. (ANI)
- Karnataka women protest against attack on girls in Mangalore - Jan 28, 2009
- 'Rent-a-riot' Muthalik pays for his fanaticism (Letter from Bangalore) - May 21, 2010
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- Court denies bail to Shri Ram Sena chief - Jan 30, 2009
- UP Khap diktat outrages women politicians, activists (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Police will initiate action against Muthalik: Yeddyurappa - May 14, 2010
- Women activists slam feudal panchayats, demand action - Jul 13, 2012
- Mangalore hooligans get bail, their leader promises to behave (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- All accused get bail in Mangalore pub attack case - Jan 31, 2009
- Delhi police chief to meet Girija Vyas on women's security - Dec 14, 2010
- Bill against honour killing likely in monsoon session: Girija Vyas - Apr 06, 2011
- False allegations leveled against Sri Ram Sena: Muthalik - Feb 07, 2009
- Mangalore pub attack: Muthalik, 27 supporters get bail - Jan 31, 2009
- Implement our suggestions: Women's panel - Jul 05, 2010
- Women's rights panel seeks report on Delhi honour killing - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: bhartiya janata party, chairperson, chief minister, convener, culprits, disgrace, girija, horrific crime, karnataka police, law enforcement authorities, member team, ncw, police arrests, public anger, sri ram, strict punishment, vyas