Karnataka crisis: Venkaiah Naidu to help resolve issuesOctober 7th, 2010 - 12:25 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore Oct 7 (ANI): In view of the ongoing fiasco in the Karnataka Legislative Assembly, the Bharatiya Janata Party has asked senior leader Venkaiah Naidu to intervene. He has been rushed to Bangalore to help resolve the issue within the state government.
Naidu is expected to mediate between Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa and the rebellious MLAs, who have withdrawn support from the government.
Nineteen MLAs on Wednesday handed over a letter to Governor H R Bhardwaj, withdrawing their support. They are reportedly unhappy over the recent Cabinet reshuffle in which six new ministers were inducted.
Following, the withdrawal, the Governor has asked Yeddyurappa to prove his majority by October 12.
Earlier, Yeddyurappa dropped four dissident ministers from his Cabinet.
The dropped ministers are (Textiles Minister) Venkataramanappa, (Minister for Agricultural Marketing) Shivaraj Thangadagi, (Youth Services and Sports Minister) D Sudhakar and (Animal Husbandry Minister) P M Narendraswamy.
Despite the crisis, Yeddyurappa seemed confident and said he’ll prove the majority by October 11, a day ahead of the Governor’s deadline of October 12.
“I talked to the Governor… the house will meet on October 11… the MLAs who have gone out of town will be back soon. I am confident of proving majority, ” said Yeddyurappa.
In the 224-member Assembly, BJP and independents together had the strength of 123 members.
With Wednesday’s developments it has been reduced to 104 members. The BJP now requires the support of 113 members to prove its majority.
The BJP earlier had 117 MLAs including the Speaker, followed by Congress 73, JDS 28 and independents six. (ANI)
- Karnataka crisis: Yeddyurappa sacks two more ministers - Oct 07, 2010
- Karnataka crisis: Governor asks Yeddyurappa to prove majority by Oct. 12 - Oct 06, 2010
- Karnataka Independent legislators left high and dry - May 15, 2011
- Yeddyurappa drops four dissident Karnataka ministers - Oct 06, 2010
- Karnataka High Court upholds suspension of disqualified MLAs - Feb 14, 2011
- Yeddurappa faces crisis, to prove majority by Oct 12 (Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- Court reserves judgment on Karnataka legislators' plea - Feb 01, 2011
- Karnataka crisis: High Court to hear independent MLAs' case - Nov 02, 2010
- Rebel Karnataka MLAs demand dismissal of Yeddyurappa Govt. - Oct 11, 2010
- Karnataka crisis: Chaos at Assembly ahead of trust vote - Oct 11, 2010
- Yeddyurappa sacks four Independents as ministers - Oct 06, 2010
- Suspense in Karnataka continues, Court divided over disqualification issue - Oct 18, 2010
- Yeddyurappa sacks two BJP ministers for revolting - Oct 07, 2010
- Karnataka BJP struggles to save Yeddyurappa government - Oct 07, 2010
- Yeddyurappa Govt. in Karnataka survives 'Trust Vote' - Oct 11, 2010
Tags: agricultural marketing, animal husbandry, bharatiya janata party, bhardwaj, bjp, cabinet reshuffle, chief minister, fiasco, independents, jds, legislative assembly, member assembly, mlas, naidu, new ministers, oct 7, october 11, state government, sudhakar, textiles