Karnataka CM Yeddyurappa welcomes Krishna water dispute verdictDecember 30th, 2010 - 10:25 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Dec 30 (ANI): Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa welcoming the verdict of the Krishna Water Disputes Tribunal on the division of surplus water from the Krishna River, on Thursday said finally justice has been delivered.
The Justice Brijesh Kumar Tribunal, which pronounced the verdict, has also not objected to the increased height of the Karnataka ambitious Almatti Dam project, which was a prime bone of contention between Karnataka and its neighbouring states.
“It is a great day for Karnataka. Krishna tribunal has announced its judgment. This award has indicated the judgment of Karnataka. Finally we have got justice. Permission to raise the height of Almatti Dam to 524.26 meters, A and B scheme totally 911 TMC (thousand million cubic feet),” said Yeddyurappa.
Earlier today, the Krishna Water Disputes Tribunal gave its verdict on the division of surplus water from the Krishna River with Andhra Pradesh getting 1000 Thousand Million Cubic (TMC), Karnataka getting 911 TMC and Maharashtra getting 666 TMC of surplus water.
The Krishna River originates in Maharashtra and flows through Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh before discharging into the Bay of Bengal.
Sharing of Krishna waters has been surrounded in controversy as Karnataka has been seeking to raise the height of the Almatti Dam to 528 metres. It argued that the Union Planning Commission approved the original height of 528 metres in 1978.
But Andhra Pradesh contended that Karnataka has been raising the height of the dam without legal sanction, and in violation of a 1974 tribunal award, accepted by both states.
The Central Government will constitute the Krishna Water Implementation Board after three months and the tribunal verdict can only be reviewed after May 2050. (ANI)
- Tribunal awards maximum share of Krishna River waters to Andhra - Dec 30, 2010
- Karnataka Govt. to challenge Krishna tribunal order in Supreme Court - Feb 25, 2011
- Andhra Pradesh awarded maximum share of Krishna waters - Dec 30, 2010
- Karnataka welcomes Krishna river water sharing award - Dec 30, 2010
- Andhra unhappy, Karnataka welcomes Krishna river water sharing award (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Jaganmohan Reddy takes battle to Delhi, fasts at Jantar Mantar - Jan 11, 2011
- Andhra Congress lawmakers attend Jaganmohan Reddy's Delhi fast - Jan 11, 2011
- Andhra not happy with Krishna waters verdict - Dec 31, 2010
- Centre ignoring livelihood issues: Jayalalithaa - Jul 24, 2012
- PM asked to tell Kerala to halt irrigation scheme - Jun 21, 2012
- Wary Goa tracking dam construction in Karnataka - Aug 01, 2012
- Andhra court stays release of water to Krishna delta - Jul 16, 2012
- Cauvery river issue hots up between Tamil Nadu, Karnataka - Oct 28, 2010
- Goa keeps eye on Karnataka's river project - Aug 08, 2011
- Convene meeting of Cauvery River Authority: Jayalalithaa - May 19, 2012
Tags: 911, almatti dam, bay of bengal, bone of contention, central government, controversy, cubic feet, dam project, disputes tribunal, implementation board, karnataka chief minister, krishna, legal sanction, maharashtra, neighbouring states, planning commission, surplus water, tmc, water dispute, water disputes