Karmapa prays for world peace and liberationJanuary 4th, 2009 - 9:24 pm ICT by ANI
Bodhgaya, Jan.4 (ANI): The 17th Karmapa Lama, Ugyen Thrinley Dorje has urged people to maintain world peace.
Offering prayers at the Mahabodhi temple in Bodhgaya today, Karmapa asked hundreds of Buddhists monks and devotees who had congregated to take sermons in Buddhist philosophy, to pray for world peace, harmony and liberation of all.
Devotees from about 40 countries attended the prayer session.
“It is held specially this time for the world peace and for benefiting the environment, not the environment locally in Bodhgaya but also the whole of India and from India to whole of the world. So it comes out of the vision of his holiness Karmapa of bringing together people from all over the world to pray together for world peace,” said Joe, a British devotee at the temple. The Mahabodhi Temple in Bodhgaya is the most important Buddhist pilgrimage site in the world. It is said to be the spot where Gautam Buddha attained enlightenment over 2,500 years ago. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks begin eight-day prayer session for peace in Bodhgaya - Dec 15, 2010
- Karmapa Lama calls for environment protection - Dec 25, 2009
- Dalai Lama, Karmapa lead Buddha Purnima celebrations in India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Tibetan Buddhism can solve global conflicts: Karmapa - Jan 03, 2011
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Buddhist monks offer prayers for world peace on Tripitaka festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Tibetan Buddhist sect's 900th anniversary celebrations end - Dec 30, 2010
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Devotees travel on foot from Tibet to pray for Dalai Lama - Sep 26, 2009
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: 17th karmapa, bodhgaya, buddha, buddhist philosophy, buddhist pilgrimage, buddhists, devotee, devotees, dorje, enlightenment, gautam buddha, holiness karmapa, karmapa lama, mahabodhi temple, monks, peace offering, pilgrimage site, prayer session, sermons, world peace