Karmapa Lama calls for world peaceDecember 23rd, 2007 - 6:10 pm ICT by admin
Bodhgaya (Bihar), Dec 23 (ANI): Buddhist religious head Karmapa Lama has called for consolidation of world peace.
The 17th Karmapa Lama, Ogyen Thrinley Dorje said that he will continue to strive to bring greater unity among people.
On the sidelines of International Kagyu Monlam prayer festival at Buddhist pilgrimage Bodh Gaya in Bihar, Karmapa Lama said: “Ever since I have started participating in the prayer for world gathering I wanted that the people who participate don’t experience the conflict, they feel at ease and at home to join in the prayers. This is actually my attempt to bring more and greater unity among people.”
The festival intends to promote and establish worldwide peace, harmony and happiness.
The Kagyu sect, one of the four major sects in Tibetan Buddhism, started this festival.
First held in 1983 in India, the prayer festival this year saw more than 7000 Buddhist monks, nuns and devotees from across the globe participating in the event.
The eight-day long festival is being held at the Mahabodhi temple in Bodhgaya, where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment.
Karmapa Lama is the head of the Karma Kagyu sect of Buddhism.
Karmapa escaped to India in January 2001 after an arduous 1,400- km (875-mile) journey through the snow-bound Himalayas. He is now settled in Dharamsala, headquarters of the Dalai Lama. (ANI)
- Karmapa Lama calls for environment protection - Dec 25, 2009
- Tibetan Buddhism can solve global conflicts: Karmapa - Jan 03, 2011
- Tibetan Buddhist sect's 900th anniversary celebrations end - Dec 30, 2010
- Preserve Tibetan culture, Karmapa tells Tibetans - Jan 06, 2012
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Himachal court summons Karmapa over currency row - Feb 16, 2012
- Karmapa prays for happiness, peace - Jan 01, 2012
- India allows Karmapa to visit US - Jul 06, 2011
- 5,000 initiated into Tibetan Buddhism at Bodh Gaya - Dec 29, 2010
- Buddhist monks begin eight-day prayer session for peace in Bodhgaya - Dec 15, 2010
- End Tibetan monastery stand-off, urges Karmapa - May 09, 2011
- India owns copyright to Buddhism: Karmapa Lama - Dec 23, 2011
- Currency case: Petition against Karmapa dismissed - Apr 25, 2012
- India owns copyright to Buddhism: Karmapa Lama (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Dec 23, 2011
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
Tags: 17th karmapa, bihar, bodh gaya, bodhgaya, buddhist monks, buddhist pilgrimage, dalai lama, devotees, dorje, himalayas, journey through the snow, kagyu monlam, karmapa lama, lord buddha, mahabodhi temple, mile journey, religious head, tibetan buddhism, world peace, worldwide peace