Karkare, Kamte and MC Sharma among Ashok Chakra awardeesJanuary 25th, 2009 - 7:59 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 25 (ANI): Nine brave hearts including former Chief of the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS), Hemant Karkare, former Additional Commissioner of Maharastra police, Ashok Kamte and the former Delhi Police Inspector, Mohan Chand Sharma were announced recipients posthumously of the prestigious Ashok Charka award. Their names were announced posthumously today.
Other Ashok Chakra award recipients include Colonel Jojan Thomas of JAT Regiment, Havildar Bahadur Singh Bohra of the 10th Battalion of the Parachute Regiment, Inspector Vijay Salaskar of Maharastra Police, Asst. Sub-Inspector Tukaram Gopal Ombale of Mahastra police, Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan of Bihar Regiment and Havildar Gajendra Singh of Parachute Regiment.
President Pratibha Devisingh Patil will present the awards at Rajpath before the commencement of Republic Day parade. The awardees also include other names announced in August last year.
The two other names are of the late Assistant Commandant Pramod Kumar Satapathy of Special Operation Group of the Orissa State Armed Police and the late R P Diengdoh of Meghalaya Police.
President Patil has given her consent on 428 awards for the gallantry and other meritorious service awards to the defense and other para-military personnel.
Other announced defense decorations include 13 Kirti Chakras, one Bar Shaurya Chakra, 30 Shaurya Chakras, 91 Sena Gallantry Medals, two Tatrakshak Gallary Medals, three Takrakshak meritorious service medals and 49 Mention-in- Dispatches.
The Ashok Chakra award is treated as equivalent to the Param Vir Chakra. (ANI)
- Three Shaurya Chakras among I-Day gallantry awards - Aug 15, 2011
- Ashoka Chakra for Maj Jyotin Singh (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- One Ashok Chakra, 6 Kirti Chakras announced on R-Day eve (Lead,with images) - Jan 25, 2010
- President approves 428 gallantry and other defence decorations - Jan 25, 2009
- President approves 9 Ashok Chakras among 428 defence decorations (Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- Civil gallantry awardees to get free AC train travel - Jul 24, 2012
- Young Lieutenant wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- 3 Kirti Chakras among defence medals conferred by president - Apr 19, 2011
- Gallantry awardees to get free parking passes in Chandigarh - Dec 31, 2010
- 'Ashok Chakra is for bravery, not for getting killed' - Feb 22, 2009
- Five army men named for Kirti Chakra, 21 to get Shaurya Chakra - Jan 25, 2011
- 718 security personnel conferred medals - Aug 14, 2010
- Coast Guard commandant chosen for Tatrakshak Medal - Aug 15, 2009
- 442 gallantry awards announced on Republic Day eve - Jan 25, 2010
- Indian Army's armoured regiment honoured - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: armed police, ashok chakra, assistant commandant, bahadur singh, bohra, brave hearts, charka, delhi police, gajendra singh, gallantry medals, mention in dispatches, meritorious service awards, meritorious service medals, operation group, orissa state, parachute regiment, param vir, police inspector, republic day, unnikrishnan