Karia Munda elected Deputy Speaker of Lok SabhaJune 8th, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 8 (ANI): Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Karia Munda was unanimously elected as the new Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha by a voice vote on Monday.
The Congress-led UPA and the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) filed 13 sets of nomination papers on behalf of Munda on Friday.
He was chosen by the BJP as the Deputy Speaker candidate after the UPA offered the post to the Opposition as per convention.
Munda, a tribal leader, has been a six-time Member of Parliament from Jharkhand.
He was a Cabinet Minister in Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA Government at the centre.
Born in 1936, Munda, a post graduate, was born in the Ranchi District of Bihar, now State capital of Jharkhand.
He has been elected to Lok Sabha for many terms from tribal constituency of Khunti. (AN)
- Karia Munda all set to become Deputy Speaker of LS today - Jun 08, 2009
- BJP nominates Dalit leader Kariya Munda for LS Deputy Speaker's post - Jun 02, 2009
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- BJP picks tribal leader for deputy speaker's post - Jun 02, 2009
- Karia Munda, a tribal's journey from farmer to Deputy Speaker (Profile) - Jun 02, 2009
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- BJP denies Gadkari, Advani rift over Jharkhand moves - Sep 10, 2010
- Finally, Advani-Gadkari feud out in the open (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Mamata to skip UPA meet, dares Congress to snap ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- I will win: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Why didn't Advani bring back black money, asks Sonia - Feb 25, 2012
- Top BJP leaders likely to skip Munda swearing-in (Night Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Advani shocker: People upset with BJP too (Second Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Advani to stay away from Ranchi, BJP says all is fine - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bihari, bjp leader, cabinet minister, constituency, deputy speaker, jharkhand, Lok Sabha, member of parliament, national democratic alliance, nda, New Delhi, nomination papers, parliament, post graduate, ranchi district, time member, tribal leader, UPA, voice vote