Kapil Dev urges youngsters to join ArmyFebruary 20th, 2009 - 10:45 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 20 (ANI): Former Indian cricket skipper Kapil Dev on Friday exhorted youngsters to join the army and said the country needs help from every citizen of the country and it is important for everybody to join the army.
Dev, who was recently commissioned into the Territorial Army, was taking part in a commando training camp here.
The 50-year-old all-rounder was commissioned into the Infantry battalion of the Punjab Regiment of 150 Territorial Army, as an honorary lieutenant colonel.
Addressing the media, Dev said, I love army, I love my people, and if people like us cannot come than who will come. I think it is important for everybody to join the army. Today, India needs help from every citizen of the country and people like us should join.
He is also the brand ambassador of the Territorial Army and will help to train army golfers.
Officials said that Dev was undergoing training just as any other army man.
A training officer Colonel HBS Lagshar said, For the last three days, Lieutenant Colonel Kapil Dev has been attending the training. During the training, he is learning physical fitness. Today, he has performed PT with other trainees. We also gave training on obstacle courses to him, besides giving him necessary training on weapons. (ANI)
- Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in Kashmir - Jun 01, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Actor Mohanlal under Indian Army scanner for uniform misuse - Oct 11, 2011
- Lt Col Kapil Dev readies for combat (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Feb 20, 2009
- Dhoni accepts offer to join Indian Army - Apr 05, 2011
- Dhoni attends Territorial Army Raising Day - Oct 11, 2011
- Dhoni, Bindra to don olive green from Tuesday - Oct 31, 2011
- Kapil Dev to get his battle readiness checked - Feb 20, 2009
- Tendulkar, Dhoni to fly in Sukhoi combat jets - Jun 30, 2011
- Sachin Pilot to join Territorial Army - Sep 05, 2012
- Indo-Canadian honcho dons army fatigues (With Image) - May 21, 2011
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Kapil Dev joins Territorial Army - Sep 25, 2008
- Cricketer Kapil Dev now a honorary army officer - Sep 24, 2008
- Kargil inspired me to join Army, says superstar Mohan Lal - Jul 09, 2009
Tags: ambassador, army man, citizen, commando training, golfers, hbs, indian cricket, infantry battalion, kapil dev, lieutenant colonel, New Delhi, obstacle courses, physical fitness, punjab regiment, rounder, skipper, territorial army, trainees, training camp, youngsters