Kapadia takes over as new Chief Justice of IndiaMay 12th, 2010 - 1:41 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 12 (NAI): Justice S H Kapadia was on Wednesday sworn-in as the 38th Chief Justice of India (CJI).
President Pratibha Devisingh Patil administered the oath of office and secrecy to Justice Kapadia.
The event at Rashtrapati Bhawan was attended by the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, his cabinet colleagues, outgoing Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and other dignitaries.
Born in September 29, 1947, Kapadia enrolled as an advocate in September 1974.
Appointed as an Additional Judge of the Bombay High Court in October 1991, Kapadia was elevated as a Permanent Judge in the same High Court in March 1993.
He was associated with a historical judgement in which a five-judge Constitutional Bench had held that the law put in the Ninth Schedule was open for judicial review.
He was served as the Chief Justice of the Uttaranchal High Court from October 5, 2003 to December of the same year.
He was elevated to the Supreme Court on December 18, 2003. (ANI)
- Sarosh Homi Kapadia appointed as new Chief Justice of India - Apr 30, 2010
- New Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia takes oath (Second Lead) - May 12, 2010
- India gets new chief justice, Supreme Court a woman judge (Roundup) - Apr 30, 2010
- Supreme Court gets new chief justice, woman judge (Third Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Sarosh Homi Kapadia will be India's next chief justice (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Supreme Court gets three new judges - Sep 13, 2011
- Kapadia is new chief justice of India (Lead) - May 12, 2010
- Justice Gogoi joins apex court - Apr 23, 2012
- With new judge, Supreme Court has 26 judges - Apr 02, 2012
- Will miss Delhi High Court: Chief Justice Dipak Misra - Oct 05, 2011
- Justice Lokur sworn in as Supreme Court judge - Jun 04, 2012
- Mounted bodyguards, hazar sallam - Regal grandeur marks Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 25, 2012
- Sarosh Homi Kapadia is new chief justice of India - May 12, 2010
- Justice Altamas Kabir to be next Chief Justice of India - Sep 13, 2012
- Justice Lokur sworn in as Supreme Court judge (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: bombay high court, cabinet colleagues, chief justice of india, cji, dignitaries, dr manmohan singh, judgement, judicial review, k g balakrishnan, manmohan, manmohan singh, nai, new chief justice, new chief justice of india, New Delhi, ninth schedule, oath of office, pratibha devisingh patil, secrecy, september 29