Kanye West UK snapper scuffle reports bogusNovember 17th, 2008 - 12:30 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 17 (ANI): Rapper Kanye West has denied that he assaulted any photographer outside a nightclub in Newcastle on November 14.
The 31-year-old singer was arrested and later released after the alleged incident.
While writing on his blog, he called the incident “bogus”.
“When I left the club, I was encountered by a thirsty paparazzi as usual. He felt he had more rights to my space than me, so I put my hand up to prevent him from taking my image. I didn”t assault him, People magazine quoted him as writing.
“I guess in all the commotion the camera scraped his nose, he wrote.
West further said that five “very cordial” police officers arrived at his hotel room three hours later, and explained that they had to arrest him because a complaint had been filed.
“That was the bogus part,” he said.
“They placed me in handcuffs and drove me to the station. They spoke about how this was obviously a publicity stunt by the photographer but they still had to go through the motions,” he added.
Although he has not been charged, West said that the incident has indeed hit his reputation.
The hip-hop star has called for strict laws against paparazzi whose practices he deems intrusive.
“When will there be a law passed that simply enforces that someone has to ask to have a photograph of you?
“That would seem like common courtesy. Right now the paps are above the law and the people they shoot are below it,” West said. (ANI)
Tags: blog, commotion, handcuffs, hip hop star, hotel room, kanye west, motions, newcastle, november 14, paparazzi, paps, people magazine, photograph, photographer, police officers, publicity stunt, reputation, snapper, strict laws