Kanpur college girls oppose dress code in campusJune 23rd, 2009 - 7:45 pm ICT by ANI
Kanpur, June 23 (ANI): The controversial ban of college authorities prohibiting girls to wear jeans to prevent incidents of eve-teasing has triggered furious reaction from college girls here.
College girls consider the decision deprives them of their basic freedom to wear something like ‘jeans’, is unreasonable.
“The dress code which has been implemented in the colleges is totally wrong. We are not wearing anything wrong. Moreover, we don’t belong to any primary school who need to be told what to wear and what not to. In addition to this, there is a ban on the mobile phones which I think is also totally wrong if we do not have mobiles with us how will be we able to inform our parents about our whereabouts?,” said Twisha.
Four colleges, affiliated with Kanpur University, have prohibited their students from wearing jeans. The authorities decided to take the step after receiving several complaints of eve-teasing that were occurring just outside the college gate.
Meanwhile, the district administration has welcomed the decision.
“The universities have implemented this decision. It is right that there should be a dress code in the schools and colleges and if the universities think that by implementing this step discipline in the colleges will improve, we welcome this decision,” said Anil Kumar Sagar, District Magistrate of Kanpur.
With both supporters and the opponents equally vociferous the dress code controversy is there to stay. (ANI)
- Colleges in Kanpur ban jeans on campuses to check eve-teasing - Jun 09, 2009
- Jeans prohibited on Kanpur college campuses (Lead) - Jun 09, 2009
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- UP government warns colleges against jeans ban - Jun 23, 2009
- Short skirts cause women harassment: Trinamool lawmaker - Jul 28, 2012
- Dress code in colleges to stop eve-teasing draws flak - Jun 11, 2009
- Trinamool MLA clarifies 'short skirt' remark, Mamata refuses comment (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Women legislators oppose banning jeans on campus - Jun 23, 2009
- College dress codes should be non-discriminatory: Experts - Aug 22, 2009
- No ban on jeans, Uttar Pradesh government warns colleges (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh colleges plan to ban jeans, set dress code - Jun 22, 2009
- Bangladesh students protest against rampant 'eve teasing, sexual harassment of women ' - Nov 04, 2010
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Bhopal college bans female teachers from wearing western outfits - Dec 10, 2010
- Orissa plans colour code for schools - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: college authorities, college girls, colleges, controversy, discipline, district administration, district magistrate, dress code, eve teasing, freedom, jeans, june 23, kanpur university, mobile phones, opponents, parents, universities