Kamal Nath to inaugurate Carpet Expo todayFebruary 12th, 2009 - 11:27 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 12 (ANI): Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Kamal Nath will inaugurate the 14th India Carpet Expo here today.
Shankersinh Vaghela, Union Minister for Textiles; G.K. Pillai, Commerce Secretary and Rita Menon, Textiles Secretary will also attend the function.
The four-day expo is being organised by the Carpet Export Promotion Council.
The expo is world acclaimed established fair on handmade carpets and other floor coverings in South East Asia, envisaging unique business oriented platform to the importers and exporters.
More than 200 exhibitors from Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana will display their trend setting designs of handmade carpets and floor coverings.
It is expected that around 300 overseas buyers from USA, Germany, France and Italy will also visit the fair.
The Indian carpet industry has the potential for expansion since adequate skilled manpower and raw-material is available and, moreover, Indian carpets have tremendous flexibility and adaptability.
The total export of carpets viz., handmade woollen tufted, handmade silk, handmade staple/synthetic, cotton, rugs, druggets, and durries during the year 2007-08 was US 875.71 million dollars as compared to US 807.94 dollars in 2006-07.
The top exporting destinations are: USA, Germany, UK, Australia and France. (ANI)
- Kamal Nath to inaugurate Carpet Expo tomorrow - Feb 11, 2009
- Maran expresses confidence over maintaining pace in carpet export - Feb 23, 2010
- Foreign investment norms for retail to stay: Kamal Nath (Lead) - Feb 12, 2009
- Four-day carpet expo in Varanasi from Oct 17 - Oct 14, 2008
- 'Made in Pakistan Expo' in Mumbai - Aug 30, 2012
- Indian exports grow 36.4 per cent in December 2010, highest in 33 months - Jan 08, 2011
- Corporates told to give handlooms, handicraft products as gift items - Aug 13, 2012
- Artisans from across the country participate in Shillong handloom exhibition - Dec 12, 2009
- India keen on permanent handicrafts pavilion in UAE - Aug 30, 2008
- Eco-friendly interiors the new mantra - Jun 20, 2012
- Delhi to host Asia's largest defence exhibition - Mar 26, 2012
- Nagaland aiming to reach out to bigger markets through handloom sector - Dec 02, 2010
- Asia's largest defence exhibition kicks off Thursday - Mar 28, 2012
- Rs.2,100 crore sanctioned for textiles parks - Oct 27, 2011
- Punjab aims to develop Amritsar as expo hub - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: carpet export promotion council, carpet industry, commerce secretary, cotton rugs, durries, export promotion council, floor coverings, handmade carpets, handmade silk, haryana, indian carpet, indian carpets, jammu and kashmir, kamal nath, menon, minister of commerce, pillai, skilled manpower, south east asia, union minister