Kamal Nath calls for joint efforts to develop sustainable transport systemJanuary 8th, 2011 - 7:04 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 8(ANI): Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Kamal Nath has appealed to all the stakeholders to join hands with the government in its effort to make the roads safer and develop sustainable transport system across the country.
Speaking at the valedictory function of the 22nd Road Safety Week here today, Nath said: “Indeed, this is the time to review and plan for all our road safety related activities not only for the year 2011, but also for the new decade, which has been rightly proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly as decade of action for road safety”.
Talking about the challenge thrown by the tremendous growth of transport infrastructure and services in the country, the Minister enumerated the various steps and initiatives taken by the Ministry, as well as many other measures to ensure road discipline and road safety.
At the occasion, Nath also gave away the Transport Minister’s Trophy to the winners and runners up for the year 2007-08 and 2008-09.
The winners for 2007-08 are State Transport Haryana (in the Mofussil category), Himachal Road Transport Corporation (Hill Service) and Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (Urban Service).
The winners for 2008-09 are Punjab State Bus Stand Management Co. Ltd. (in the Mofussil category), Himachal Road Transport Corporation (Hill Service) and Delhi Transport Corporation (Urban Service).
The Transport Minister’s Trophy has been instituted by the Road Transport and Highways Ministry to recognize the State Transport Undertaking (STUs) with the lowest accident rate record. (ANI)
- More Muslim kids attending schools - Dec 02, 2011
- Insurance regulator slaps Rs.1.5 million fine on IndusInd Bank - Jul 06, 2012
- Delhi budget: More funds for public transport, education, health - Mar 22, 2010
- The new council of ministers after Wednesday's reshuffle - Jan 19, 2011
- 39 sick PSEs revived, making profit - Aug 19, 2010
- Champions League winners - May 20, 2012
- India spent $7 bn on army procurements since 2007 - Dec 21, 2011
- UK Business Secretary meets Anand Sharma - Jan 19, 2011
- Repair work of Airport Metro to end by October: Kamal Nath - Sep 17, 2012
- Transport Minister Joshi wants road safety to be incorporated in curriculum - Mar 25, 2011
- C.P. Joshi asks engineers not to compromise with safe road design - Mar 31, 2011
- BCCI income rises to Rs.1,667 crore in 2010-11 - Aug 30, 2011
- Himachal roadways employees call off planned stir - Jun 18, 2012
- Himachal invites food processing firms - Apr 07, 2011
- Rs.70 bn compensation to states on account of reduced sales tax - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: accident rate, bangalore, haryana, highways, kamal nath, management co, metropolitan transport, new decade, New Delhi, road safety, road transport, runners, stakeholders, stus, sustainable transport system, transport corporation, transport infrastructure, transport minister, united nations general assembly, urban service