Kalyan Singh says BJP kept him in dark about Babri demolitionMay 2nd, 2009 - 3:39 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, May 02 (ANI): Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh on Saturday blamed the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for keeping him in “dark” about Babri Masjid demolition in 1992.
Claiming that the BJP had hatched a conspiracy against him to throw him out of the party, Singh said, “Senior BJP leaders said no demolition will take place. I believed them… It was a conspiracy against me by the BJP leaders. It was a conspiracy to oust me. I was kept in the dark (about the demolition).”
Singh further asserted that the BJP did not consider him a suitable party member as he came from the backward class.
Singh’s statement came in contrast with his own statement last month in which he took upon himself the “total” responsibility for Babri Masjid’s demolition, as the then chief minister of Uttar Pradesh in 1992.
“I will leave no stone unturned to defeat the BJP. I will work for the complete destruction of the BJP and stop all possibilities of the formation of a BJP-led NDA government at the Centre,” he had said.
Just before the Lok Sabha polls, Kalyan Singh had quit the BJP to join hands with his erstwhile bete noire Mulayam Singh Yadav and has been campaigning for the latter’s Samajwadi Party candidates in Uttar Pradesh.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters in Patna today, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav called Kalyan Singh “a convict” in the Babri Masjid demolition case.
“He (Kalyan) is a convict in the demolition of the Babri Masjid. He is not a member of the SP. Is he a member of SP?” Lalu said, when asked to comment on the former UP CM’s call to Muslims to defeat the BJP. (ANI)
- Mulayam Singh apologies to Muslim community - Jul 15, 2010
- Supreme Court issues notice to Advani and others in Babri Masjid demolition case - Mar 04, 2011
- Mulayam's apology to Muslim community a political gimmick: Mayawati - Jul 15, 2010
- Samajwadi Party revokes expulsion of Azam Khan - Nov 03, 2010
- Kalyan says he was in 'dark' about Babri mosque demolition (Lead) - May 02, 2009
- I was kept in dark about Babri demolition: Kalyan Singh - May 02, 2009
- Mosque demolition: CBI challenges Advani clean-chit (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Congress cannot take our support for granted: Shahid Siddiqui - Mar 13, 2012
- Someone must be responsible for Babri mosque demolition, says Chidambaram - Dec 08, 2009
- Mulayam apologises to Muslims for aligning with Kalyan - Jul 15, 2010
- Absurd to suggest Narasimha Rao was indifferent to Babri razing: Naresh Chandra - Jul 11, 2012
- BJP dismisses Liberhan report; Congress blames RSS (Roundup) - Dec 08, 2009
- Ayodhya case: Advani, others oppose CBI plea - Jan 16, 2012
- Mulayam ignored warnings on Kalyan, says Azam Khan - Nov 20, 2009
- Two UP Congress leaders hitch onto Samajwadi Party bicycle (News Analysis) - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: all possibilities, babri masjid, bete noire, bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, chief minister, conspiracy, convict, demolition, kalyan singh, lalu, lok sabha polls, lucknow, muslims, party candidates, party member, Samajwadi Party, uttar pradesh, yadav