Kalam envisages restoring glory of Nalanda University (Re-issue)February 9th, 2008 - 1:19 pm ICT by admin
Patna, Feb 9 (ANI): Former President APJ Abdul Kalam has set in motion the plan of action for setting up of the Nalanda International University, modelled on the lines of the famed ancient seat of Buddhist learning.
Addressing the first meeting of the university’s governing body at Rajgir, about 100 km from here, Kalam said: “We will make it a world class university, so that great research will be done here.”
He expressed hope that the university would regain its past glory.
Nalanda was a renowned university in days of yore. Students and scholars from Korea, Japan, China, Tibet, Indonesia, Persia and Turkey, besides India, attended the Nalanda University, which existed until 1197.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who accompanied Kalam, had to face the ire of farmers, who claimed that they had not received adequate compensation for the land acquired to house the university building.
However, Kumar said that he was ready to face any challenge to the upcoming project.
“We want support from everyone. Some opposition is obvious when something big is coming. And we are ready to face all the obstacles,” said Kumar.
Kalam was appointed the first visitor of the proposed Nalanda International University. The visitor will play a key role in the constitution of the university’s supreme body — the governing body.
The idea of the university was first mooted in the late 1990s, but it was given shape by Kalam in 2006. (ANI)
- Amartya Sen-headed Nalanda varsity group to meet in Patna - Jul 05, 2011
- Nalanda Mentor Group holds meet in Patna - Jul 06, 2011
- Kalam dissociates himself from Nalanda university - Sep 15, 2011
- Global competition for Nalanda university design - Jul 07, 2011
- Kalam envisages restoring glory of Nalanda University - Feb 08, 2008
- Padma for Singapore ex-minister with Nalanda connect - Jan 25, 2012
- Bhutan to help promote tourism in Bihar - May 06, 2011
- Nalanda to be developed as tourist hub - Feb 18, 2010
- Nitish Kumar to visit China to promote Bihar - Jun 03, 2011
- Two held for assaulting foreigners in Bihar - Sep 22, 2011
- On way to China, Nitish eyes tourism, trade tie-ups - Jun 11, 2011
- Recession a hurdle for reviving Nalanda university: Amartya Sen - Mar 01, 2009
- Mamata logs on to Facebook to canvass for Kalam - Jun 16, 2012
- Bihar beckons: NRI shooting documentary with Hollywood crew - Jan 19, 2011
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: 1990s, abdul kalam, adequate compensation, ancient seat, buddhist, chief minister, china tibet, farmers, first meeting, former president, governing body, japan china, key role, korea japan, nalanda university, obstacles, persia, rajgir, renowned university, supreme body