Kalam advocates region-oriented approach to development in federal set-upsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:36 am ICT by admin
He said that the states should work to their core competence and complement one another, adding that the overall planning at the central level should focus on regional development.
In his address, Power Minister Shushil Kumar Shinde said that the country as vast as India could not have progressed as well as it did without a federal structure.
Discussions in theme sessions also got underway today. The Conference is based on four broad themes and twelve sub-themes. The topics for theme sessions include Building on and Accommodating Diversities, Emerging Issues in Fiscal Federalism, Interaction in a Federal system and, Local Government and Federal Systems. For the first time, local government has been chosen as the topic of a theme session. ddressing the Conference yesterday, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee called for hastening the process of devolution of power at the grass-roots level. He said that without a sense of participation in governance, there can be no credible empowerment.
In his address, the Panchayati Raj, Youth Affairs and Sports and Development of North Eastern Region Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar said that the only way to achieve inclusive growth is by strengthening Panchayats, the third tier of democracy.
Addressing the Conference, Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee said that democratic governments are better equipped to maintain a cohesive policy amidst diverse interests and priorities. He stressed the need to amicably resolve all fiscal issues without jeopardizing national unity and integrity.
The three-day conference, which will concluded tomorrow, is being organized by the Inter State Council Secretariat of the Government of India in partnership with the Forum of Federations, a Canada based international forum of federal countries. The earlier conferences were held in Canada in 1999, Switzerland in 2002 and Belgium in 2005. (ANI)
- BRICS to explore setting up development bank - Mar 07, 2012
- Indian, Chinese and Canadian businesses, govt. to atend Cleantech Forum in Toronto - Mar 21, 2011
- Asian Security Conference to focus on non-traditional threats - Feb 10, 2012
- Kalam to address Delhi Private School in Sharjah - Jan 23, 2011
- Strategic policy vital to tap northeast resources: Experts - Aug 23, 2011
- Invest in Indian infrastructure: Kamal Nath to Europe - Oct 13, 2011
- Congress ignores Mani Shankar Aiyar's comments - Jul 26, 2011
- Ending concurrent list a big step: Pakistan PM - Jun 29, 2011
- Kashmir interlocutors submit report, focus on 'meaningful autonomy' (Round-up) - Oct 12, 2011
- Tussle over devolution of five Pakistan ministries - Nov 10, 2010
- Global study soon on impact of gizmos on entertainment space - Nov 12, 2011
- USAID freezes 250-mn-dollar aid project in Pakistan over HEC devolution issue - Apr 05, 2011
- Canadians take part in Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Jan 17, 2011
- Variety can add to strength of federal structure: Shivraj Patil - Nov 14, 2007
- World Wide Web conference begins in Hyderabad - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: amicably, core competence, democratic governments, external affairs minister, federal structure, fiscal federalism, fiscal issues, fourth international conference, India, kalam, local government, Lok Sabha, mani shankar aiyar, panchayati raj, power minister, pranab mukherjee, somnath, theme session, theme sessions, ups