Kabutar baazi played passionately in PunjabJune 16th, 2008 - 11:39 pm ICT by ANI
Ludhiana, June 16 (ANI): Punjab is the only State where Kabutar Baazi, a sport is played passionately during the month of May-June.
In this game, the owners of pigeons leave the pigeons to fly in the sky. The pigeon, which flies for a longer duration, gets an awarded for being the best pigeon.
The owner of the pigeon, which wins the competition, gets either gold shields or a cash award of Rupees one lakh. Such competitions usually are held during the month of May/June. The Mughals popularized this sport and now many politicians are taking part in it.
“For 35 years I have been breeding pigeons and taking care of them. Pigeons are considered a symbol of peace and humanity. Competitions take place among these pigeons during the month of May and the pigeon, which stays in the sky for a longer time, is awarded the first prize. This sport was popular during the times of kings and princes and we follow it in the same manner.
Pigeons from Pakistan are more popular here. There are a few women here who take keen interest in these competitions.
Many of the pigeon owners claim that they offer these birds a special diet with dry fruits and nutritious grains to increase the birds’ strength and endurance. They also train these pigeons to win the competition.
“Our neighbours hobby influenced us to breed pigeons. We take care of the pigeons day and night and feed them with chole, bajra and grains,” said Praveen Kumari, Pigeon lover
The specially trained pigeons fetch good rates. Some expensive pigeons are sold at the cost of Rupees two lakhs. Pigeon lovers do not mind spending high amounts to buy them. (ANI)
- Agra skies ready for pigeon flying contests - Dec 22, 2010
- I've found happiness with pigeons: Mike Tyson (Interview) (With Images) - Jun 08, 2011
- Wild pigeons never forget a face - Jul 03, 2011
- In China, a swallow doesn't necessarily make a summer (With Images) (An Indian in China) - Jul 03, 2012
- Bird drops poo on Sky Sports News reporter Ian Bolton live on air - Oct 25, 2011
- PETA fighting to stop Mike Tyson's reality show featuring pigeon racing - Mar 22, 2010
- Colourful Sankranti celebrations in Andhra - Jan 15, 2012
- Pug fashion leads to longer noses and legs - Jul 16, 2012
- Sonam Kapoor donates 'kind kites' to school kids - Jan 13, 2011
- Mike Tyson's new documentary series is all about his love for pigeons - Feb 25, 2011
- Mike Tyson to showcase his passion for pigeons in a new TV show - Mar 16, 2010
- Border youth await Pakistanti pigeons' arrival - Jun 04, 2010
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- PETA alleges that Mike Tyson's game show encourages gambling - Mar 22, 2010
- Westminster Dog Show 2012 will showcase new breeds - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: 35 years, baazi, bajra, breeding pigeons, chole, dry fruits, endurance, grains, keen interest, lakh, lakhs, ludhiana, mughals, neighbours, pigeon lovers, princes, rupees, shields, special diet, symbol of peace