Justice Soumitra Sen not to quitSeptember 9th, 2008 - 7:40 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Sept 9 (ANI): Calcutta High Court Judge Soumitra Sen, against whom the Chief Justice of India, K. G. Balakrishnan has recommended impeachment, will not resign and defend himself as and when required, said his counsel.
Subhas Bhattacharya, Justice Sens counsel, said. “At this stage he is not considering resignation.”
“If show caused by Parliament, he will appear before it. He will defend himself in accordance with the law,” Bhattacharya said.
Anuradha Sen, wife of Justice Sen said that the judge was not taking any calls or talking to media as it was a sensitive issue and his lawyer Bhattacharya will answer queries on his behalf.
Justice Sen will face impeachment proceedings in Parliament with the government accepting Chief Justice of India’’s recommendation to the Prime Minister for his removal on charges of serious financial ”misconduct”, the second-ever such action against a member of the higher judiciary.
Sen was allegedly found to have indulged in financial misconduct prior to his elevation as High Court judge in December, 2003, when he was a practicing lawyer, in an internal inquiry held by Chief Justice of India on the matter.
In a lawsuit between Steel Authority of India Ltd and Shipping Corporation of India , Sen is said to have received Rs 32 lakh as court-appointed receiver and accused of depositing the amount in his personal account.
If Sen is impeached, it will be an unprecedented event as the previous impeachment of Justice V. Ramaswamy in 1991 failed to pass muster in the Lok Sabha as the then Narasimha Rao government failed to take position on the issue. (ANI)
- Sen second judge ever to face impeachment process - Aug 17, 2011
- What does impeachment of a judge mean? (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Soumitra Sen accepts Lok Sabha's stand - Sep 06, 2011
- Patil forwards Sen's resignation for notification - Sep 03, 2011
- Rajya Sabha votes to impeach Justice Soumitra Sen (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Lok Sabha likely to take up Justice Sen impeachment - Sep 03, 2011
- Rajya Sabha resumes impeachment debate - Aug 18, 2011
- Impeachment proceedings against Justice Sen begin - Aug 17, 2011
- Apex court dismisses plea on Soumitra Sen impeachment - Nov 25, 2011
- 'Decide impeachment in accordance with conscience' (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Rajya Sabha panel holds Justice Sen guilty of corruption - Nov 10, 2010
- Errant judges may not be able to abort impeachment: Rajya Sabha MP's bill - Jul 22, 2012
- Lok Sabha drops impeachment motion against Sen - Sep 05, 2011
- No impeachment motion against Justice Sen in Lok Sabha - Sep 05, 2011
- Impeachment proceedings: Justice Sen claims innocence (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: calcutta high court, chief justice of india, impeachment proceedings, internal inquiry, k g balakrishnan, Lok Sabha, narasimha rao, shipping corporation of india, steel authority of india ltd, unprecedented event