Jumbo calves in Jalpaiguri are specially trained for patrollingFebruary 25th, 2010 - 12:39 pm ICT by ANI
Jalpaiguri (West Bengal), Feb 25 (ANI): Wildlife authorities here are imparting special patrolling training to rescued elephant calves at the Jaldapara wildlife sanctuary in West Bengal’s Jalpaiguri District.
Buddhadeb Mondal, a forest ranger at the sanctuary, said six calves, ranging from three to four days to a year, are being trained.
“We have already rescued six elephant cubs and their age varies from 3-4 days old to 1 year old. Some experienced Mahouts (elephant riders) are giving training to these cubs so that we can use these cubs when they grow up for patrolling purposes,” said Mondal.Ravi Biswasarma, a mahout, said, “These elephant calves are fed by us, and when they grow up, they will patrol the forest.”
According to forest sources, there are 17 captive elephants at the rehabilitation center.India has over 50 percent of the world’s Asiatic elephant population.
A 2005 census showed there were 25,000 to 28,000 elephants in India, including 1,500 male tuskers of breeding age. (ANI)
- West Bengal sanctuary's captive elephants enjoy a day off - Sep 18, 2010
- Tusker killed after being hit by train - Aug 09, 2010
- Forest rangers capture wild elephant calf in Jalpaiguri - Dec 31, 2010
- Siliguri forest officials undertake rhino census - Mar 12, 2011
- Elephant gives birth to calf in Gorumara National Park in West Bengal - Sep 04, 2010
- One tusker killed, one critically injured as trains hit them - Nov 16, 2010
- Sick baby elephant dies in West Bengal - Aug 16, 2009
- Leopards to be relocated in West Bengal - Dec 20, 2010
- Elephant found dead in West Bengal - Jan 30, 2011
- Uttarakhand's killer tusker evades death - Jan 11, 2012
- Two elephants hit by train in north Bengal - Jun 26, 2011
- Wildlife guard killed by elephant - Jan 11, 2012
- Hit by train, another elephant dies - Jul 04, 2011
- Speeding train kills elephant in West Bengal - Jun 01, 2010
- Two elephants shifted to Bengdubi to search for injured elephant - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: asiatic elephant, calves, captive elephants, census, cubs, elephant, elephant population, elephant riders, forest ranger, India, jalpaiguri district, mahout, mondal, ravi, rehabilitation center, tuskers, west bengal, wildlife authorities, wildlife sanctuary