Journalists in Egypt support Gazan colleaguesJanuary 13th, 2009 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Jan 13 (DPA) A group of Arab and international journalists left Cairo for the Egyptian-Gazan border Tuesday in an attempt to break the media blockade on the strip, one of the organisers said. The group includes 13 journalists from the US, Egypt, France, Morocco, Sudan, and Qatar, said Hagar Samouni, research coordinator in the Doha Centre for Media Freedom and one of the organisers of the trip.
“The trip is a show of solidarity with our Palestinian colleagues who are deprived of the basic tools they need to carry out their duties,” French journalist Zeinab al-Ghazawy told DPA.
Al-Ghazawy also said the journalists were protesting the Israeli Army’s refusal to allow journalists into Gaza to cover the conflict.
The group is bringing first aid kits, note pads, cameras, bullet-proof vests, helmets, and other equipment Palestinian journalists had requested.
Samouni said organisers had coordinated the trip with Egyptian security officials so they would be allowed to deliver the supplies.
“If we were able to cross to Gaza borders this will be the first official visit of a media delegation from the Rafah crossing,” said Samouni, who is accompanying the group.
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Gaza aid ship docks in el-Arish, awaits instructions - Jul 15, 2010
- Hamas team embarks on Arab tour via Egypt - Mar 04, 2011
- Egypt discovers 17 smuggling tunnels to Gaza - Aug 11, 2010
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- UAE donates 700 tonnes of aid to Gaza - May 28, 2010
- Al Qaeda accuses Arab leaders of surrender to Israel - Jul 20, 2010
- Egypt foils attempt to smuggle cement into Gaza - Jul 25, 2010
- Two killed, three missing as Gaza tunnel collapses - Sep 12, 2009
- Egyptians march to Gaza to demand border be opened - Mar 06, 2011
- Egypt opens Rafah crossing for stranded Palestinians - May 15, 2010
- Egyptian politician faces military trial for going to Gaza - Feb 04, 2009
- Egypt court approves country's first Islamic party - Feb 19, 2011
- Around 16,500 Palestinians cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: basic tools, blockade, bullet proof vests, cairo, colleagues, delegation, first aid kits, french journalist, gaza, gazan, helmets, international journalists, israeli army, media freedom, organisers, palestinian journalists, rafah crossing, research coordinator, security officials, solidarity